Would you be this cheap?

I had t;o fire my maid, and I am going to go as long as possible without rehiring a maid. This is not because of the money issue; I just want to feel the accomplishment of doing it by myself.

Joeygoat

Asked by Joeygoat at 2:20 AM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Home & Garden

• WTF?? a maid?? are you for real?? We are lucky we can afford to eat! It's not really that hard to clean your own freaken toilet. Why dont' you send the money you were spending on a maid to an organization that helps families that can't even afford food - maybe that would make you feel accomplished. I mean really, a maid??? wow

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 2:26 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I have been THE MAID, lol and i never could understand a sahm needing a maid...one sahm mom hired me because her some had come down with being allergic to dustmites. I emptied out my vacuum 4 times in her house! she never once cleaned anything and they had been in their new house for 6 months. she just thought all she had to do was pick up toys , do dishes and laundry. There is nothing more rewarding then actually cleaning your own house.
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 2:57 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I don't get what cheapness has to do with it. though, if I had the money for a maid, I definitely wouldn't waste it on one.
    catharsis

Answer by catharsis at 2:22 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I think if you want one, have one. If you don't want one, don't have one. It's not about being cheap. Personally, the only way I know it's clean to my standards is to do it myself. Then again, I am a bit of a germaphobe. lol I love it when I have a beautifully clean home and have a great sense of accomplishment knowing I did it. I also sleep really well when I'm tired from cleaning all day. I generally prefer to break it up over a few days, although sometimes it doesn't happend that way. With a 3 yo, it's hard to keep it picked up sometimes, but it's usually CLEAN under the toys. lol
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 7:08 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Good for you! I always feel better in a clean house knowing I did everything I could to make it look nice
    Ameliamomo2

Answer by Ameliamomo2 at 2:22 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• its not being cheap!!!!
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 2:26 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• No that's not begin cheap
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 2:31 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Good for you!! I don't think that's cheap or tacky in any way - but hopefully you told her the reason you were letting her go!

I don't have a maid, and we could definitely afford one. But I like doing the housework myself. That way I am proud of my accomplishments, I have ONLY myself to blame when things don't get done, and I always know where everything is, and that it's getting clean to my standards.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 2:38 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• i wish i could afford a maid! lol but taking care of your own home is rewarding.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:42 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I agree with JawgaMom1-if you want one, have one. if not, then don't. Its not about being 'cheap'. :)

My family had one that came twice a week. She would dust, vacuum, bathrooms, sweep, mop, & windows. Then once a week she would do something extra, like, organize the closets, clean the baseboards, steam clean drapes & curtains, etc.
    But now, my family is so busy & have such an on the go lifestyle, we're hardly home during the week. But come the weekend, you'd think we threw an all night bash! with toddlers! lol! I've contemplated about hiring a maid, just on mondays.... haha! But its just not worth it to me. Though I do miss the little extra's our maid use to do. :)
    Ellie19

Answer by Ellie19 at 11:44 AM on Sep. 6, 2010