what do yu do if you teen is advertising drug use?

My 16 year old daughter writes stuff on myspace like on her bullitin it will be labled "drugs" or "lsd" or something like that... the thing has nothing to do with drugs but that's how she is labeling htem. Then she posted pictures that she labled tweeker days 1 and 4. I know they were taken within minutes of each other because of the back round and the cloths but why is she advertising these things? and what am i supposed to do about it? She has passed drug tests but some of those only show long term drugs unless you catch them within a day or two of them using.. so now what, I have had problems with her for the last yer and a half and don't know what else todo.

truleefrea

Asked by truleefrea at 4:16 PM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• educate her with the REAL facts about drug use, rather than the exaggerated "scared straight" stuff, and hope.
    let her know that you're not comfortable with her implying through her posts/ pictures that she is involved in drug use. . . but let her know that it's perfectly normal to be curious. it's just not a good idea to explore EVERY curiosity you ever had. a good analogy might work. Everyone has wondered in their life at some point what it would be like to fly. Not everyone is stupid enough to jump off a high rise building.
    wallylicious

Answer by wallylicious at 9:41 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• i know this doesnt matter but the only drug that really stays in her system a few days is cocaine.
    Anonymous

• Oh, I'm already so worried about this and I'm still pregnant! I told my husband that if I caught our kid doing drugs, I would have them put in jail. He got mad. lol. I wouldn't really, but what DO you do?

I know they sell at-home drug tests in pharmacies, but I'm not sure what they test for. If nothing else, sit her down and ask her what they mean. Maybe she's doing it to look cool to other teens? Show her before and after pictures of Amy Winehouse and let her see the physical effects of doing drugs/alcohol. Good luck to you, and I'm sorry you have to go through it!
    KatieBatey

Answer by KatieBatey at 4:20 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• She thinks she's old enough to be making her own choices but obviously she's not capable of making GOOD choices. I would definitely contact the school police and let them have a Sit Down with her. Maybe get her into a "Scared Straight" program for a day, where they tour the morgue and see what idiots die from such real behavior. It sounds like she's playing around for attention; but does she really think NO ONE is taking her seriously? She's ASKING for trouble, and as her parent, because she's a minor, it's still legally up to you to make a difference. I would certainly take steps to "unofficially" let authorities know. If she's NOT using drugs, she's being stupid about advertising it. If she is, she's in even more trouble. You need to be her parent, not her friend, in this situation, and get her to face the reality that drugs kill, hurt, destroy. Period.
    ChefMom94

Answer by ChefMom94 at 6:12 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Talk to her about it. Sometimes putting titles like that on your myspace stuff will help to get it read. She obviously seems to think that drug use is cool, or she wouldn't be doing stuff like that. If she's not already using drugs, she IS being openly curious and it's only a matter of time before she actually tries them. Does she know that you know about this stuff? I did kind of the same thing as a teenager, but NEVER let my mom catch me at it! Maybe she isn't clear on your stance or maybe she thinks she can get away with it? You've just got to talk to her about it.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 10:22 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Oh yeah, that "scared straight" stuff is BS. All teenagers know that, especially smart ones that actually KNOW a thing or two about drugs. I did research on the drugs I wanted to take. Some of them I decided I wouldn't do because they were too dangerous, and others I "okayed". Even smart kids make bad choices.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 10:24 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Get a hair test done. IT can trace drugs that you took months or even years ago unless you had it cut.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:29 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Have you sat down and talk to her , do you know her friends and what are they all like , put a stop to the sites she goes on , but becarefull if you push to much she will rebel i have been through this i have a 27 year old who is sitting 6 years for drugs
    grandmajulie

Answer by grandmajulie at 6:15 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Chill out. You have drug tested your 16 year old multiple times already? My mom tried this on me when i was 17 and i am 28 now. We still have a bad relationship. She assumed i was a drug addict, and a stripper and everything else under the sun because of stupid little teenage crap that didn't mean anything (like labeling pictures or post) Her doing THIS kind of crap is what lead me to start acting out and using drugs and drinking. I was being accused, so i never wanted to go home. That is what I started doing to pass the time. Back off. if she isn't using, which she apparently isn't if she passed a drug test, your going to screw things up. Kids do stupid things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:50 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• You don't think she's doing drugs now, but her comfortable attitude with them is a red flag that she is likely to experiment. Possibly soon. First of all, you should probably calm down. If you freak out, she might rebel. Just keep a close eye on her. Maybe you should talk to her and tell her how uncomfortable you are with the way she is labling these pics. I know teens do whatever, but if she realizes you're losing a little faith in her it just might make a difference. Good luck! My kids haven't given me these problems yet. Still a little young, but I'm waiting!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on Oct. 14, 2008