Public assistance opinion question

Do you personally think it's wrong for a family to be on food stamps if one person is working full time at a decent (not great, but nearly the best to be found in your area) job, and the other is juggling taking care of the kids and going to college full time? Or do you think that both should be working and the one in college should drop out again to work (assume that the class schedule does not allow the person to be able to work more than possibly one shift a week, at most)?

This is just a hypothetical question, by the way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:31 AM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

• I think that as long as a family is not abusing the system, and they are doing SOMETHING to better their lives (working, going to college, etc.) they deserve the help.

I consider someone "abusing the system" when they are only having babies so they can get money, when they are laying on their butts and not even making ANY effort to take part in their family's wellbeing, and when they are completely satisfied to mooch off the state, instead of trying to better their lives and eventually get off PA.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 3:37 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I agree with WomanWitty. If they are trying to better their lives then I say go for it.
    thismamacooks

Answer by thismamacooks at 3:45 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I work 32-39 hours a week and my hubby works between 20-30 hrs a week and i make almost $12 a hour he makes $8 a hr and we receive food stamps. We have a 4 person income. My bills a month add up to be almost $1400.00 a month.  Trust me we need them I wouldn't be able to live the way we do if I didn't receive FS.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:41 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• As long as they aren't lying or cheating to get the food stamps, then do what you have to do to better yourself and your family.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 3:55 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I think every family is different and what works for some may not work for others. I also think there is such a thing as state help, to help people. I don't understand why people think its something to be there but not be used. Anyways.. I don't see why a family couldn't do this hypothetical situation. I would assume the person working is doing what they can to raise the family currently, and the one juggling the kids and school is (obviously caring for the kids now) but doing what they can for the family in the future.
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 3:38 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• School is important. The person should stay in school with food stamps, with the understanding that is a temporary situation.
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 7:07 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Abusing the system is when someone isn't working, going to school, or taking any work training while having babies so they can stay on PA. I don't have a problem with the situation you described. I get medical assistance for my son and myself right now, and I just got a promotion where I'll be making $24000 a year. The welfare system is there for those who need it, when they need it. I highly doubt the woman going to college could handle working and the kids as well, and once she gets a job with her degree they probably won't need PA anymore.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 8:04 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• As long as they are eligible.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 10:35 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I don't think anyone should be forced to drop out of school. Period. You do that you virtually guarantee that family will continue to be on assistance for years to come.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 10:58 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• As I have said a million times, I have no issues with anyone using food stamps. Food is a necessity. If you need help achieving the necessity, then by all means, seek it.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:07 PM on Sep. 6, 2010