I've been really bad.

I know its really bad to have caffine but sometimes i cant help it. I don't have much. I have maybe a can a week, also diet drinks too. I get so sick of water orange juice and tea and i cant find any juice thats not to sweet.

How bad are these for me and what are some alternative?

SpiffyMom

Asked by SpiffyMom at 8:12 PM on Jun. 30, 2008 in Pregnancy

• From the info that I have read...moms can have 1 serving of caffeine a day...sooo you are not sooo bad after all! LOL
    Anonymous

• I didn't give up my coffee while pregnant except when it caused morning sickness. I did cut my coffee intake down but not eliminated.

Diet soda...yeah...actually I've given that up altogether whether pregnant or not because of the dangers of aspatame and sucralose (Splenda). All Soda is highly acidic and the body is designed to function best in an alkaline environment. Soda gives body too much acid which is a great breeding ground for pathogens. Also, a lot of soda now contains High Fructose Corn syrup which serverely taxes the body's pancreas and affects insulin production. (It's worse than regular sugar) So, consider what you drink, read labels because of the dangers of Gestational Diabetes.

Have you thought about gatorade or a similar brand? (again, check the label)

Triessence

Answer by Triessence at 8:19 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• yeah you can have caffeine just not like OVERRRR LOAD lol :) i have like a can a day.... its fine :) lol
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 8:20 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• You can have 2 caffeine drinks per day! Two coffees, or two sodas, or one of each.... or one big fountain drink! YUM! Don't worry, you'll be totally fine! There are studies that say caffeine leads to miscarriage, and some studies say it does not. So just enjoy your sodas & don't worry about it. If you really feel guilty, switch to tea or koolaid or gatorade. :)
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 9:17 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Before I found out I was pregnant I was in Basic training in the Army and took caffeine pills on a daily basis to keep awake plus a lot of energy drinks. However when I found out I was pregnant and this really worried me, I thought maybe my baby would be deformed or something because of it. I told the Dr. and she said that it's not recommended to have a lot of caffeine because it accelerates the baby's heart beat however she didn't seem to be as concerned as me. I'm happy to say my daughter came out perfect. And I don't think you're a bad mother for having some caffeinated items. However maybe try to limit yourself if it really bothers you.
    iri24

Answer by iri24 at 11:21 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I used to while I was pregnant have a soda a day if not more and I got diagnosed with Gestational diabetes, I am not a good example but just be really careful because it is scary.
    jaevenmomma

Answer by jaevenmomma at 11:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Everything in moderation.

I'd cut out the diet drinks though...just go for the regular stuff.

Most articles suggest limiting your caffeine intake to 150-200 mg per day. That's about 4-5 12 oz cans of Coke. I don't think most people drink that much anyway, pregnant or not.
    MommytoNakoa

Answer by MommytoNakoa at 11:48 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• No diet drinks because of the aspartame.

You can have the equivalent of 3 cups of coffee/day in caffeine.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 3:11 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

NoNonsenseMama