I want to use RIT dye to dye my boots another color, help please?!

My cousin used RIT dye to dye her ugg boots purple/blue. It came out great, well I have some furry boots too but they are not uggs, they are water proof like uggs and they have that furry lining like uggs but they have a rubber sole on them.
I want my boots to be blue so I got some RIT dye yesterday and was going to dye them last night then had all these last minute questions:
Will the rubber sole get dyed too? – If so how can I stop it…Vaseline maybe?
The boots are “water proof” but I was able to wash them last night by hand, they soaked up water just fine the RIT dye will still work right?
How long will they take to dry?
Did you ever dye your ugg – or similar boots and how did yours turn out?
Thanks for your help!!

QueenB36

Asked by QueenB36 at 4:28 PM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Hobbies & Crafts

• don't put vaseline on the soles that will just make a mess and could screw up your dye on the fabric of it spreads. I'd use saran wrap or shrink wrap and rubber bands to seal up the rubber soles maybe. I don't know if that will work well enough but it's worth a try. you could also find a way to hang them upside down in a bath of the dye so that they are in the dye up to the soles but the soles are out of the mix. Are your boots white? The darker the material they are the harder they will be to dye. If they are a tan color, and depending on the darkness of the blue dye you got and how long you let it soak, it might just come out looking funky-and not in a good funky way.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 9:58 PM on Oct. 13, 2008