Do you start feeding the birds in the fall?

We have birdfeeders and I just love watching all the birds. I start feeding them around the end of Sept thru spring

SophiaofLight

Asked by SophiaofLight at 5:05 AM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Home & Garden

• We feed them year round. We have a smaller back yard but it is full of trees and the birds and squirrels love it. We put up several bird feeders and see who comes to visit.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:35 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I feed the birds year round. They really like those suet and seed bars that I hang from the patio. The birds also get lots of treats whenever the yard is mowed and there are lots of bugs. I also provide water. If you do start, you really do have to keep it up all year because they learn when and where the food is.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 5:14 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I feed them all year around...

Much to my hubbys hate... (They seem to target his car!!!)
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 5:56 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• We have a finch and a hummingbird feeder in our back yard. I know the hummingbirds leave for winter (that and the necter would freeze), so that always comes in before the first frost. I leave the finch feeder out until I haven't seen finches for a couple of weeks - sometimes that is well after the first frost. I've never put out feed for the general bird population.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 7:52 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• We have these huge honeysuckle plants and potted red colored plants that help out the hummingbirds. We do feed suet blocks all year long. Some weeks they last only 2 days! Also DH has chickens so the birds know where his "good healthy" mix is for those that like that! He also has a corn crib up all year and some birds enjoy their feast there. Even though we're jobless and down on our luck with my health etc.. We feed the birds to be helpful.
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 9:57 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• We start sometime before the snow comes. We have been saving stale breads and cereals for months so we have lots of stuff to mix into our homemade suet!
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 3:03 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Only if it is going to be a BAD winter. If you start feeding them you have to all year or they wont look for food anywhere else and will starve.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 5:06 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• In the area we live in and we don't live in the middle of no where by any means we live right in town. But they told people in our area not to put our bird feeders out this year there's bears and we already had one attack someone in there back yard. I have seen and had baby deer in my yard, It's cool in all but still it's scary about the bears and shit.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 5:09 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I live on 5 acres and in summer there is plenty of food for them. But I do feed the hummingbirds in summer.
    SophiaofLight

Comment by SophiaofLight (original poster) at 5:18 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I don't feed them any more but I used to. I would start when the snow was on the ground.
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 6:41 AM on Sep. 6, 2010