I need inexpensive Dinner Ideas and Recipies

We were on Food Stamps then I realized it was time to get off of it and get a job bc it was making me lazy (Like I said it was making ME lazy it doesnt mean you are if you are on it but my husband was the only one working and killing himself so I decided it was time to help him out) Well if anyone has been in my shoes then you show the shock the first month not being on it so I am asking for some innovative ideas that arent too expensive I already know Ramen Noodles Hot Dogs Hamburger Helper the Box Dinners but I am asking for stuff you make in the crock pot other than stew and Roast and also Casseroles if you have the recipes you can give them too if you would like thanks

chaseethan2617

Asked by chaseethan2617 at 4:32 PM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Food & Drink

• Spagetti, spaghetti salad (quick, cheap n easy!), cabbage rolls, stuffed peppers, meatloaf and instant mashed potatoes, shepherd's pie, homemade chili, lasagna, chicken strips from scratch, tacos aren't that expensive ... oh there's so much! I'm the queen of cheap n' easy! Wait ... that sounds bad ... lol. Anyway, if you need recipies, let me know.
    KatieBatey

Answer by KatieBatey at 4:38 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Chicken is very inexpensive, so I usually smother chicken with sausage, onions and bell pepper. I serve this over rice. My son loves mamwhiches(sorry for spelling) ground meat is inexpensive as well and 1 can will serve a family of 6. I love spighetti ,ground meat,pasta and sauce usually costs $5-$6.
    thedies

Answer by thedies at 4:41 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• were polish so im always cooking hillshire farm polish sausage and saurkraut. add some bacon or bacos and cut up some potatoes and your done. cook it all together in a large pot for about 1-2 hours and you got a meal.
    vadasmom

Answer by vadasmom at 4:42 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• veggie/chicken soup:

-cook some chicken (whatever chicken u like)... i prefer a whole chicken or even turkey
    -get a 2nd (BIG!) pot and boil some water... add some chicken broth or veggie broth...
    -cut all the veggies u like and add them to the broth
    -get the chicken meat (only the meat, make sure u dont have any bones ect.) and add it to the soup..
    - add 3-4 taters
    - let it boil for about 30 minutes, then let it simmer for 1-2 hours.
    - add more broth if needed and if u like other spices...

^^^ i usually make carrot soup.. so i only add carrots and a 3-4 taters

-----------------------------------------------------------------

i have some other really nice recepies, but most of it would be too expensive to make in the states though.. because of the high price of meats there :(
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 4:47 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• hamburger patties, spinach, taters:

burgers:
    mix the ground pork/beef with some onions and egg.. then fry little patties.

spinach:
    cut a little onion and fry it with some butter. dont let it get brown/black tho. then add the spinach.. let it simmer for a while, put some salt on it too if wanted or however you like your spinach

taters:
    just boil them :)

^^^^^^^ I LOVE THAT!!!!... instead of spinach you could also cook some brussel sprouts.

----------------------------------------
    m.robertson811

• potato soup for the winter times is great.

all you need is about 5-8 potatoes, peeled and cut into cubs. I dill of half and half, salt and pepper.
    Some butter. Put the potatoes in a pot fill with water until potatoes are covered. Add about 2 to 3 tbs of chicken broth powder. Cook untill tatters are done. then I like to drain alittle bit of the water, cuz the chicken broth powder can be a bit salty. After that add, the half and half to taste and the butter. ass much as you want to taste and cook for another 20 mins untill thicken a bit. its really good with some added shredded cheese in it. yum!
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 5:16 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• haha. i see a typed ass in there, suppose to be as much. also ADD Two Bay leaves. While boiling the tatters, before you but the half and half in.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 5:17 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• If you want to do something other than regular spaghetti, I like to do this:
    Brown ground beef, add some spices
    boil elbow macaroni
    mix meat, macaroni, cheese and sauce and then bake for about half an hour.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 5:32 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Also, if you like Mexican food, I make enchiladas that are SO easy. Just boil chicken breast, and shred it. Roll cheese and chicken in tortillas, and lay in a pan. Pour store bought enchilada sauce over rolled tortillas and bake covered for 25 minutes at 350.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 5:34 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Soups are great because you can add whatever you have or whatever is on sale, and they're nutritious and pretty healthy as long as there's not a lot of cream in them! :) You can get chicken to put in the crock pot with some celery & onion, use the broth for soup, and use the chicken for enchiladas, tacos or casseroles...or you can make a pie crust (cheap and easy) and turn it into pot pie.
    Another great, inexpensive dish is ribs & kraut. Get pork ribs when they're on sale. Country style ribs are generally pretty cheap, about $5 for a good size package. Brown them in a bit of oil until you get a good, rich brown crust on all sides. Then put in the crock pot with just a little broth or water, some celery salt, and pepper. About 90 minutes before you're ready to eat, add a pkg of saurkraut (leave some of the juice in). Serve over boiled potatoes (smash them down with a fork).
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 7:54 PM on Oct. 13, 2008