How can I get my son to go to sleep on his own?

my son Jr is 19 months old and Ive noticed that i spoiled him at nap time and bed time. Ive always cuddled and rocked him to sleep. Now he wont go to sleep with out screamin his head off in his crib. My hubby is deployed and I figured this would be a good time to start getin him to sleep in his crib on his own. As well as take away his bottles (That went surprisingly well). I just dont know if I should just let him scream until he falls asleep or what. I dont want him to feel like Im neglecting him. Do you ladies have any advice??

Sweetiemama717

Asked by Sweetiemama717 at 4:46 PM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes.. my husband is also deployed and there are days where it is just easier for me to have my son sleep in my bed... It is ok to let them cry... if hes not hurt and he doesnt need to be changed... then its ok... By getting him when he cries hes learning that by having a fit he gets his way. This is something i learned the hard way... my son brought that lesson out side of the bedroom routine... What i did to break him of it is id put him to bed and let him cry for 15 mins... then bring him out and have him watch tv or read to him for 15 mins... then it was back to bed... i would do this till he finally fell asleep... it took me a week and now he tells me when hes ready for bed and i just lay him down and he goes right to sleep... hope this helps...
    reipea0807

Answer by reipea0807 at 5:10 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• just let him cry after about a week they stop screaming and its so nice. my son now knows his bedtime routine book brush teeth and then night night he even jumps in his toddler bed now and he just turned 2. it seems hard at first but it works.
    humboldtmama21

Answer by humboldtmama21 at 6:46 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• today im starting a new method with my 23mo... I ussually rock her to sleep too. But today I tucked her into bed & sat down on the bed & told her to take a nap. I held her hand & played with her hair. When she would start to move alot/ talk alot. and wouldnt lisnen when i told her to calm down, I would get up, leave the room & shut the door She would scream & cry. Id wait a minute, go back in, put her back in bed & start over. each time it took her longer to start moving/talking, i would also leave the room a lil longer each time. After the 4th time I got up (when she starting talking/moving again) told her "go to sleep!" and left the room. She cried for a second, then stoped. so i just lisnened outside of the door for a few minutes. Finally I opened the door slowly. and seen she was nodding off on her OWN! Within 5min she fell asleep on her own! Im excited to see how tomorrow works.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 7:14 PM on Oct. 14, 2008