Constant Migraines While Pregnant?

Is it normal to have migraines back to back, all day and night? This past week has been hell for me, I haven't been able to get out of bed, eat or drink anything until the migraines fade away late at night. Should I be concerned?

Smexkitten

Asked by Smexkitten at 4:57 PM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i get them too so far everyone has told me to tell my dr about it and to drink more water
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 4:58 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• are you trying to stay away from caffene cause this can cause caffene withdrawl headaches
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 5:01 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I get chronic migranes and it is something you should talk to a dr. about so that you can rule out the possibility of it being a vitamin efficency... mine have sprouted due to low iron... but however thats not always the case... for days like that it helps to run cold water on your head and put other cold compresses on your head and neck... The only medication that work for me for migranes is a combination of excedrine and coffee... hope that helps... feel better
    reipea0807

Answer by reipea0807 at 5:02 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I never drank much caffeine to begin with. I'm a juice person :)
    Smexkitten

Answer by Smexkitten at 5:03 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I never thought of the vitamins/ low iron as being a reason reipea, but now that I think of it, to be honest i have been slacking on my prenatals! >_< *takes some right now*

Oh, and I also suffer from chronic migraines, I was on topamax throughout my high school years (like 2 years ago) and I hadn't had a migraine since then, and just this week "Theirrr baccckkkk" with a vengeance.
    Smexkitten

Answer by Smexkitten at 5:07 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• How far along are you? I finally found out with my LAST pregnancy that there is a stage (17 weeks, I think but it's been along time ago... LOL) when your baby changes from using your blood, to using umbilical cord blood, and it can cause some pretty severe headaches. I suffered with this through 4 pregnancies, and nobody told me why. They will go away soon. If not, then make sure tot alk to your doctor. In the mean time, use this opprptunity to catch up on a lot of sleep. =)
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 5:16 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I'm 32 weeks, I only had one week of morning sickness and it was my 8th week and the last day of it I had a migraine but nothing until now since then.
    Smexkitten

Answer by Smexkitten at 5:21 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I would tell your doctor about the migraines. It may not seem serious, and I'm not trying to scare you, but when I was pregnant I would get horrendous migraines, and see spots in my eyes. I had pre-eclampsia due to stress levels. I would be concerned enough to ask about it at your next OB appointment.
    lizzeh

Answer by lizzeh at 5:33 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Wow! I can empathize with you! I have been off of work on disability for a month and a half because of pregnancy induced migraines. Disability and my employer have already approved me to be off work until six weeks after baby is born providing that the migraines subside.

Migraines can be debilitating as both you and I know. I would call your Dr. they should to the standard tests to rule out any underlying cause. For me, my tests came back pretty much normal and they did see that I had a smaller blood vessel in my brain that shows stress with the increased blood volume of pregnancy. It is not dangerous, it just causes migraines.

girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 5:40 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• cont... The neurologist that I am now seeing says that although you may not hear of constant pregnancy induces migraines, they are more common than you think. After meeting with her a couple of times we now have a medication plan that is safe for me and baby. It is also giving me back my life.

It is important to be examined by a physician and it is even more important that you enjoy your pregnancy instead of being miserable. Best wishes!
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 5:41 PM on Oct. 13, 2008