when is it best to stat potty training and what training potties work the best?

my son is 14 months old and is starting to undress himself... When is it best to start potty training and what are the best training potties?

reipea0807

Asked by reipea0807 at 4:57 PM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is 14 months. I got him a potty about 3 months ago. It is one that sits on the floor, or can be put on the regular toilet, and also turns into a step stool . You can tell when he is trying to go #2, so I figured I might as well get him used to doing it on the toilet. At first I would ask him if he had to go potty when he got that look, and whisk him away to the bathroom, but by the time we got all the clothes off and diaper off, it was usually too late, but I would make a big deal of putting it in the toilet and flushing it anyways. Now he lets me know by making noises and pointing in the direction of the bathroom, and we usually make it on time. I have books and toys already in the bathroom to keep him occupied while he's going, and then we clap, dump, and flush.
    mammatre

Answer by mammatre at 9:11 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I started potting training my daughter when she was 10-11 months old. Because thats when she was able to sit up straight by herself for a few minutes.

We use a regular potty. But ours plays music when it gets wet :)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:10 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• It depends on what you mean by potty training - how much do you expect your child to do? Do you expect him to stop playing, walk to the bathroom, pull down his pants, use the potty, pull up his pants, wash his hands, and then go back to playing? Or do you expect to take him at regular times, work his clothes for him, do whatever it takes to keep him on the potty until he goes or until a time limit is reached, wash his hands for him, and then turn him loose until the next potty time? Both (and everything in between) can be considered potty training.
    To do the first one, you need to wait until the is ready. Undressing is just one sign of many.
    To do the second, you can start anytime you want - 1 month old, 12 months old, older.

All the potties and seat adaptors work fine. Pick one that you like, that you have the room for, or that your son picks out for himself.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:26 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I have a two year old who just has one of those little rings you put on the regular "potty" and he loves it. He loves watching the water flush and everything. Not to mention, they're cheaper!
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 6:17 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• i started my son pretty much from birth. i never let him sit in a wet diaper. at 10 months old we showed him the potty at 1 he went right into undies. by 14 months he was 100% fully trained. he doesnt talk but he goes intot he bathroom when he has to go. as long as i watch him he wont have accidents. i feel like the longer u let them in diapers the more peeing in there pants becomes a habbit. training my son was a piece of cake. it took very little effort. i waited till my daugther was 2 and it took forever. it is because i waited so long. if ur going to do it u have to do it now or wait till they are much older. ( and then they know enough to fight u on it )
    hailnbray

Answer by hailnbray at 8:10 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• My son started and is still potty training at 12 months. We have him sit on a normal potty chair and he sits there until he goes. we usually sit him in front of the tv or give him a toy or something to keep him sitting. When he goes pee he gets 1 m&m and if he goings poo he gets 2. it works for us he is even letting us know now when he goes and he knows how much m&m's he gets for going. lol He is doing really great good luck
    kaylie_08

Answer by kaylie_08 at 2:24 PM on Oct. 14, 2008