Does it matter how much Baby Oragel they have?

My baby has her first tooth that's about to break through and she's been fussy the past few days. It just seems to be effecting her when she's trying to fall asleep or sometimes wakes her up. When I put oragel on her gums she stops crying almost immediately and will go to sleep. However, I just noticed today that it says not to use it more than 4 times in a day. With the way things are going, I've used it about 6 times today and feel like it may be more as it gets worse. From experience, does it really matter how much you give them and why? Are there any other products that can be used instead? Sorry to ask a teething question b/c I know there are always so many of them posted... guess I should've been reading the answers!

flalbert

Asked by flalbert at 5:08 PM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hyland's Teething Tablets have been a godsend for us. They absolutely work and immediately make our son feel better. Baby Orajel actually toughens your baby's gums making it harder for the tooth to come through.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 8:30 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Baby Orajel is junk. Yes, it does matter how much you give her. As your discovered, it doesn't last very long (30 minutes tops from what I found) and using too much can pose a choking hazard.
    Use tylenol or motrin for the pain.
    Use teething tablets for the restlessness / crankies.

Put the orajel aside for now. It's useful if you have to take out a splinter in the years to come since it will numb the area around the splilnter for the few minutes it takes to get the splinter out.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:22 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Tething tablets work for my daughter. They're homeoopathic so they're all natural. They work great
    amyofthejungle

Answer by amyofthejungle at 5:40 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I do not reccomend Orajel, I suggest using Hylands Teething Tablets, they work so much better, longer and are safer.
    MamaNikkiP

Answer by MamaNikkiP at 5:53 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Teething tablets are great if you want to wait 30 minutes with a baby screaming in your ear.

However, I think since you're using it at night to calm her down immediately it's fine...otherwise, I'd use teething tablets in a not so bad crying jag (but still in pain).
    meitaimom679

Answer by meitaimom679 at 6:04 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I'd follow the directions on the Orajel, they're there for a reason. I use it when necessary, but neither of my kids have been miserable when teething, so I've only used it once or twice a day. It worked really well for me, though.
    degsyuna

Answer by degsyuna at 6:13 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Go for tylenol or motrin...both will relieve some pain and motrin will also reduce swelling. Teething rings that you can keep in the fridge helps a bit (really anything they can chew on helps). If you are going to use the orajel, do it as a last resort and save it to use at nap time and before bedtime (or if you are waiting for the tylenol or motrin to kick in and she is absolutely inconsolable), and make sure you only use it in the area where the tooth is coming in, try not to get it anywhere else. TBH, teething sucks, and it sucks to see your child miserable...but teething is not going to kill them, and they aren't going to remember it later.

(cont)
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 7:37 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Personally, in my experience, the teething tablets don't work (and I'm not keen on giving my kid an unregulated product containing belladonna)... Also, just because its homeopathic and "natural", doesn't mean its safe--I use plenty of home and herbal remedies at home for both us and the kiddo, but I know that they have just as many problems, complications, contraindications and dangers as conventional medical products (and I know what those are beforehand)...and any herbal or homeopathic remedy sold OTC isn't regulated for safety or effectiveness.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 7:38 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Well It's been said but I really liked hylands teething tablets. I only give them to him at night, and I am telling you that they helped him sleep better. My pediatrician recommended them. I also would occasionally give him tylenol or motrin but I really didn't have to do that much. I let Isaiah have tiny ice chips or italian ice when a tooth is coming through. He loved it. My son would actually scream harder when I put baby orajel on there,...I have no idea why but he HATED it. I'm speaking as if i'm through with the teething process but he's actually only got three teeth lol,..i have a few more to go, but these things have helped me with the teeth that have come in. Good luck with all that.
    Isaiahsmom92707

Answer by Isaiahsmom92707 at 11:19 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• http://www.hylands.com/news/teethinginfo.php
    You can read that if you want,..
    Isaiahsmom92707

Answer by Isaiahsmom92707 at 11:24 PM on Oct. 16, 2008