Teaching my 11 month old another language

My husband always speak english to her, but I would like for her to speak french as well. If I'm the only person that speak french to her. Do you think she will be able to speak it as grows up.

didine995

Asked by didine995 at 9:36 AM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think she will speak it if you do to. Children pick up on languages very easily!
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 9:38 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Yes she will, and when she starts going to school she will only want to speak English but she will have French as one of her first languages, they never forget, mine didn't!

Answer by older at 9:39 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• yeah especially if you stick with it... I saw this program on discovery health about infant language acquisition that was totally fascinating... it basically said that you are born with the capacity to understand every language in the world but as your brain matures it creates these "ruts" for languages that you are exposed to early on... in essence, weeding out the other languages that you never hear. So if a baby is exposed to a language early on it will be much easier to learn it.
    interesting story... My sister was born in Germany & we had a German "oma" who would babysit us. She would speak German to my sister and my sister would respond (things like "come here" or "put that down" or "where is your bottle?") My sister has never studied German and she cannot speak German.... BUT whenever she hears simple German phrases she can understand them... not translate them into English, but understand the meaning!!!
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 9:46 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Absolutly....my younger brother has my dad and his mom speaking two different languages with him and he can respond to both. the only thiing I must warn you about it that sometimes delays speaking. Not for any other reason than they just get a little confused but I am a big supporter of two languages. and if I would have lived around my father who speaks spanish I would have tried to make my children bilingual.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 11:49 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Incorporate the french in her daily life and she will pick up a lot before she goes to school. The younger the child is when they are exposed to a different language, the more they pick up.
    soccerfanatic14

Answer by soccerfanatic14 at 12:54 AM on Sep. 7, 2010