Called to the carpet for the carpet?

While President Obama vacationed in Martha's Vineyard, the Oval Office got a makeover, but one quote on the new carpet
is wrongly attributed.

The new rug with the presidential seal is rimmed with quotations from Abraham Lincoln, Theodore Roosevelt, Franklin Roosevelt, John F. Kennedy and the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

Ok, well not totally King.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice," reads the quote attributed to King. But it actually belongs to Theodore Parker, a Boston progressive from the 1800s whom King cited in his speeches, The Washington Post reports.

Parker, an abolitionist, Unitarian minister and Transcendentali

tnmomofive

Asked by tnmomofive at 9:36 AM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The other quote, the one from the Gettysburg Address, the one everyone thinks is Lincoln is also Parks. You know the one Lincoln paraphrased "...a government of the people, by the people, for the people." He got 2 wrong!!!!!!!!!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:24 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Who cares? Did Obama weave the rug, or did he just sign off on it? Did MLK NEVER say those words? My God, who CARES. Also, I love hearing about the Saudi royal owning part of Fox news. It is hilarious that people who jump all over a passing acquaintance of Obamas 20+ years ago find a way to defend this guy CURRENTLY OWNING part of Fox, all the while freaking out because he is donating to a private building in NY. I guess owning a news organization is less influential than giving money so some Muslims in New York can pray. LMAO

Even you Fox lovers have to see the hypocrisy in that! What would you be saying if it came out that he was a shareholder in CNN...or MSNBC. lol This makes me really happy
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:32 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• LOL!!! This is funny, because Obama is such a POSER!!

You'd think in spending 800,000 to redecorate a room tat you're hardly ever in, that you could afford a little accuracy!! FAIL!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:09 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• That IS the point LoriKeet. But I don't think you've figured it out still. If you waste enough time following trails everyone is associated to everyone else eventually. Kind of like the 6 degrees game. But it seems to be a valid tactic to use by extremist on both the liberal and conservative side when they're attempting to prove a point. But it's not a valid tactic and it's stupid.

As is this entire question. Seriously, it's a carpet and a quote. I guess one of you will have to get your panties in a twist for me because I just can't muster up enough effort to care.
    NonnasMomma

Answer by NonnasMomma at 10:28 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• History can be rewritten, didn't you know that?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:20 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• ...and the Prince Al-Waleed owns a mere 7% of Fox News' PARENT company The Carlise Group! If you follow the money trail high enough all trails will lead to either George Soros or Warren Buffet!!! So what's your point Nonnas?! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:20 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I guess if I were an exclusive Fox News watcher or ultra conservative it would annoy me, but my scope of the world is not that narrow, and therefore NONE of this information surprises me.

Heck, if MSNBC stock was actually worthwhile, and I had a few billion dollars to burn, I would have added them to my stock portfolio--you know to MAKE money?! That is what people who invest large sums of money try to do! But, unfortunately MSNBC fails at getting a good market share...wonder why that is?! LOL :o)

My thought is that the Prince invested some of his billions in a stock that would actually generate money--and why he selected Fox or The Carlise Group! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:39 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• News corp, owners of Fox is a world wide company whose stock is sold on the New York stock exchange. Fox news is only a small part of what they own worldwide. They also own 20Th century fox, Direct TV, Wall Street journal,National Geographic, Speed, Star numerous newspapers, British Sky Broadcasting, Germany's Sky Deutschland, Asia's Tata sky, Fox tel in Australia, plus a whole lot more. Anybody can buy stock, if you have the money.

The Saudi Royal only owns 7% of the stock. Not enough to give him any control, nor even a seat on the board of directors.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 4:47 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• So he is a smart guy, then? A regular joe? Why did Fox act like his money was dirty when he was donating it to the mosque? Speak to that, if you can. We have all seen the notecard clip

The Carlise Group is traded on the OPEN market.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:12 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• He got 2 wrong!!!!!!!!!

***

LOL!!!!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:47 PM on Sep. 6, 2010