I think my 3 year old has a skin condition, but I am not finding any answers?

My daughter is mixed (white and black) and for about a year now her skin is getting blotchy with white patches on her face and arms the most, but also going on her legs and chest/abdomen as well. I took her to the peditrician and she said it was a fungus and gave me meds for her....they didnt do anything!!! I am going back friday to talk with her again, any possile suggestions what it could be? It dosnt hurt her or itch.

resquemom

Asked by resquemom at 10:38 AM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Health

• Google "vitiligo" and see if that's what it looks like. It's a condition where you lose pigment in your skin, which would cause her skin to look white in patches. Hope you find an answer soon!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:45 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• maybe it is the same thing micheal jackson has? my sister has it and it is basically where your skin loose it's pigment. I can't remember the name, but she went to a dermatologist and he was the on to diagnose because the peditrition didn't know.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 10:46 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• This time, if you don't get any answers, ask for a referral to a dermatologist. Don't take any BS.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 10:51 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• As a matter of fact, just ask for one anyway. Regardless of what the doc says.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 10:52 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• That is vitiligo. It's more prominent in people with ethnic background. My half Mexican son has a little on his back. I am licensed in Esthesiology, and I am almost positive you are speaking of vitiligo. If it doesn't hurt, and isn't raised and just looked bleached and splotchy that's what it is. It's harmless, not much you can do for it either.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:01 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Like others have stated it sounds like vitiligo. I am Caucasian and it runs in our family. I have quite a few uncles who have it and they stay out of the sun and use sunscreen daily. Also, see a Dermatologist. This is not an uncommon skin problem so I am shocked to hear that no one could a diagnosis, unless they have out ruled vitiligo completely. I'd be getting 2nd and even 3rd or 4th opinions on this.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 9:50 PM on Sep. 6, 2010