Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Full custody rights?

What warrents the BF getting full custody? (*In your opinion)

I need legit examples other than if BM is a full blown drug addict or abusive drunk.


Answer Question

Asked by Mrs_Chris_Pukt at 10:44 AM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Parenting Debate

Level 7 (161 Credits)
Answers (15)
  • Mother not having a stable home/no home
    Mother not having nay income coming in doesn't help but doesn't mean the BF gets custody if she doesn't have it.

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:49 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

  • Well I would think he has to be able to provide a home, have a stable job, not be abusive to the child. Not as you have stated be a drug or alcohol user. I know with my GR-Son the Dad was required to have a home and a job, and he did drugs and abused my DD. Best of luck to you.

    Answer by MyAngel003 at 10:49 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

  • oops I read that wrong, all the above would apply to who ever is looking to get custody be it the Mother or Father.

    Answer by MyAngel003 at 10:50 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

  • It takes a LOT to get full custody from a bm. Any good lawyer who isnt in it just for the money, will tell you that you practically have to have a picture of the bm smoking dope, committing prostitution while shooting up in a crap hole of a home with the child present in a picture all at the same time.
    Ive been through this, so I can tell you from experience, unless you have a REALLY SOLID CASE against bm, be prepared to spend tons of money, just to end up with joint custody.

    Answer by jessiesluv at 10:53 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

  • If he can provide a better home for the child. I personally think parents who love their children would have shared custody when they split but many hate their ex far more than they love their kids so the kids suffer.

    Answer by momtolucas2002 at 11:02 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

  • SS is being bounced from home to home with his bm cause she cant manage to get her life together .. he just hit 6 yrs old and started 1st grade last wk .. as of thursday she pulled him from his current school and doesnt know where he will be enrolled next. BM stated she is moving in with her boyfriends parents for a wk and then will see what happenes after that .. so as of right now SS doesnt hava school to go to and is living with a flake for a mom.

    Comment by Mrs_Chris_Pukt (original poster) at 11:07 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

  • The judge will look at both of your backgrounds and income, so get a lawyer.

    Answer by ambr2006 at 11:16 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

  • In many states mandatory school age isn't until age 7. That's something to check on. You can go to the state department of education web site. The father doesn't need "full" custody. He can have joint decision making custody even if she has custodial (living with) custody. It's very common for fathers to have joint decision making custody. Changing schools could be a decision that could need to be made together and if they couldn't agree then it could go to mediation. It depends on your state.

    Just because a mom "can't get her life together" doesn't mean she should loose custody.


    Answer by Gailll at 2:01 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

  • in many states there is no longer "sole" custody... but in this case I could totally see going to court asking for a modification... maybe that child stay with dad until mom is more established or at the very least that child's school be based on dad's address for stabiltiy purposes...
    judges in general do NOT look favorably on bouncing a kid around esp. from school to school.
    Most of the time custody is shared with diff levels of time with each parent and decision making in typically joint.

    Answer by MamiJaAyla at 4:59 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

  • if the child is in 1st grade... I ASS-u-me that school is mandated.

    Answer by MamiJaAyla at 5:00 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.