Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Adding a Last name?

My son's dad was killed a few years ago. My son wants to add my husbands last name to his name, we have been married 6 yrs and my son is 9. My husband would adopt him but my son gets some benefits that we don't want him to loose which he will if my husband adopts him. So my question is...Does anyone know how hard it is to just add to my son's name? So he will have a hyphenated last name?
Example :name now Phillip micheal george
new name: Phillip Micheal George-Baily
Thanks Ladies! Oh I have tried googling this but I an not getting what I am looking for...


Asked by Soniam301 at 10:53 AM on Sep. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 18 (5,892 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • My friend had her daughter's first name legally changed (she made her middle name her first name and gave her a completely new middle name), and I know they had to fill out paperwork and pay a fee. I think they also had to prove that she was ok with the change (she was 6 or 7), but I'm not 100% sure on that.

    The hyphen is a personal preference. If you want it in there, it will be, if not, it doesn't have to be.

    Answer by thatgirl70 at 10:59 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

  • Any legal name change would have to go through the Clerk of Court, however, if you are changing a last name to add your new husband's last name, I'm pretty sure they won't allow that without him adopting your son or you adding him as the father on the b/c and that might affect the benefits you receive for your son from his biological father's death.

    Answer by KimPippin at 11:55 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

  • mommy of two~ reread my question

    Thanks thatgirl! That is what I was thinking too.

    Comment by Soniam301 (original poster) at 11:04 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

  • thanks 5babybees!

    Comment by Soniam301 (original poster) at 11:05 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

  • Thanks kim...I think that is where it gets confusing, because we are not necessarialy changing if last name, just adding to it...kinda like when a lady gets married...KWIM?

    Comment by Soniam301 (original poster) at 12:34 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

  • You may be able to change it but it may be expensive. You have to file, notify people that you own money to in his name, put notices in the paper, and do other things. Then you go to court and have to convience a judge. The judge may think the responsible thing to do is for your husband to adopt him so he stops getting PA. The judge may go along with you. If there are grandparents (the bio father's parents) it could help if they went and supported the name change. What you could do is use his bio father's name as his middle name and just drop his middle name so he doesn't have 4 names. It will cost hundreds of dollars and you will probably need a lawyer. People can change their name to anything, the judge will decide if he thinks it's best for your child.


    Answer by Gailll at 1:51 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

  • First off, he is not getting PA...nice assumption...2nd ummm he is 9 not sure why ME oweing money would have anything to do with adding a last name to my NINE YEAR OLD sons name.
    I am pretty sure convincing a judge will not be a problem since my son's exact words where "My name should have (insert husbands last name) in it too, since I am part of the family, I should have his name too and my name should be first, middle, last name and my husbands last name.


    Comment by Soniam301 (original poster) at 2:57 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

  • I think you should ask your son if he wants a name change before you go and do it just for benefits

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:57 AM on Sep. 6, 2010