What religion uses the NIV translation?

I recieved a pamphlet at my door yesterday, anonymously with no institution listed on it anywhere. Just a hard copy that looked like someone composed it from a home computer. No one knocked or at least I did not hear it. It is not JW because they use the Watchtower. It was good information and it quoted the NIV bible. Is there someone new going door to door? Thankyou.

2tinyhineys

Asked by 2tinyhineys at 10:57 AM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• many different christian denominations use the NIV. It may have been someone from a local church there in your area. As Bible believing Baptists, we go door to door and invite people to come to church or hand them a Gospel tract. It is odd there that no church info is on there. Don't really know what to tell you :-)
    missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 11:59 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• A lot do...it usually depends on the pastor or person in charge of the particular congregration. I have been to Catholic, Baptist, Methodist, Luthern, JW, and LDS and all have used NIV
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 11:13 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I have also been to the same type of churches in different areas that used KJV
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 11:14 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• All Christian denominations may use the NIV. There are different preferences among every denomination.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:24 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• A lot of the time the different translations are more a matter of personal preference. I know some preachers insist on KJV or whatever version they most prefer, based on what they consider the most reliable, but I don't think that any denomination has a specific translation they've deemed "the" translation for their denomination...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:26 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• JW may quote from time to time using various translations of the Bible, but consistently use the NWT. It may be that what you received was from a well meaning individual who wanted to share his or her personal beliefs.
    69humblepie

Answer by 69humblepie at 12:45 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• NIV is one of the more popular translations used for proselytizing because of its readability. It is used by nearly all Christian denominations particularly for this purpose. NIV is the MOST by non-denominationals, Baptist, Church of Christ, etc. The liturgical denominations (Lutheran, Episcopalian, Methodist, Presbyterian, etc) use it much less, because it is really an accurate translation. And unless you got a knock at the door, it most likely not Mormons or JW.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 1:18 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I am Lutheran and every Lutheran church I've ever gone to uses NIV, however, I've never heard of Lutheran's going door to door, so I don't know about that part.
    cjsjellybean

Answer by cjsjellybean at 1:51 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• **ETA ... just noticed that I wrote that the NIV is an accurate version ... I meant to say inaccurate.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 1:53 PM on Sep. 6, 2010