not getting enough milk. please help

had my baby a week ago. but unfortunately im not getting alot of milk. my baby is still hungry after i feed him. to see how much im getting ive started pumping so i can get an idea. its hardly 1 oz (both sides combined). ive tried increasing my liquids i.e. lots of water. also i do breast massage before and after every feed but still that doesnt help. can someone please tell me how can i increase my milk so i dont have to feed my formula after i give him my feed? any kind of advice is welcome. thanks in advance

cookie269

Asked by cookie269 at 11:01 AM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Pumping is NOT an indicator of how much you are making, pumps can never ever be as efficient as a baby at extracting milk. 1 oz is an excellent amount. Some women can't even pump that at all.

NEVER look at input with a breastfed baby (breasts don't come with ounce marks for a reason :) ) Look at OUTPUT. If baby is having 5-8 wet diapers. is the baby poop soft an yellowish? Then your baby is getting plenty of milk.

Newborns eat frequently (their stomachs are very tiny...) They need to suckle often and it seems as if they are permanently attached to the breast. Let the baby stay on as long as they want. sometimes the fussing is that they may need to pee, or need burping, or just want to stay near the breast. Don't take these things for having low supply. Stop pumping. You can create a problem of oversupply and a baby fussy from overactive let down and you can make yourself engorged making
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:07 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• First and formost how much you pump is NOT an indicator of how much milk you are making. Baby can nurse far better than a pump can pump. I could never pump more than maybe an ounce, but my kids nursed until well after a year with no problems. If you are giving the baby formula, stop. Breastfeeding is supply and demand. The more he is nursing the more milk you will make. The best thing you can do is to nurse on demand. If he wants to nurse 5 mins after he just finished...nurse him. It will take a day or two and your body will start poducing more milk at each feeding and he will nurse less often. When you are first getting your supply going the WORST thing you can do is supplement. Nurse when he wants to for as long as he wants to. Also call the hospital and see if there is a lactation consultant you can talk to. When I had my kids the hospital would send one to your house if you called and requested a visit.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 11:09 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• At a week old, your baby is still adjusting to nursing and getting your body to make what baby needs. Mine were all nursing constantly at that age. And I mean constantly. 30 minutes after nursing they would want to nurse again - fussing often. It is all to increase your supply and meet their demands. Just keep nursing, all the time. Once they are used to it and your milk adjusts to their needs, baby will go longer amounts of time between nursing. Keep up the great work and CONGRATULATIONS on your new little one!!!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:15 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Like the others said, keep a diaper count and at that age, nurse on demand. That can mean every hour, every 15 minutes, every two hours, whatever! With all of my children, there were some days I wondered why I even put a shirt on!! If your baby is gaining weight and the diaper changes are frequent, baby is fine. Pumping is NOT an indicator of how much milk you have. I have not been able to pump more than 2-3 oz at any given time with mine, even when engorged. My son is 18 pounds and just turned 6 months, no solids yet. So hang in there, and good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:06 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• "my baby is still hungry after i feed him"
    Instead of giving formula t this point put him BACK on the breast. If he already nursed on both sides, put him back on the first side, then the second side again. Squeeze your breast to help him get every last drop.
    You are always producing milk. The more you nurse, the more you will make. If you keep giving formula in these early weeks it may be very difficult to bring in a full supply.
    Try and spend the next few days in bed with your baby doing NOTHING except nurse!!!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:50 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Sometimes you don't get as much when you pump as when you feed. I would talk to the baby's pediatrician and see if you actually are not producing enough milk.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 11:03 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• ...it hard for the baby to latch on. visit kellymom.com and dr jack newman find a la leche league chapter in your area LLL for face to face free support from nursing moms. And also join the breastfeeding moms group here at cafe mom.

Nothing kills a supply faster than not knowing what is normal for a breastfed baby and then supplementing with formula.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:09 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Is he gaining weight? And having 6-8 wet diapers day? That's a much better indicator of if he's getting enough milk. I never got much from pumping, and I successfully breastfed 4 kids (am currently breastfeeding my 5th). If you are worried, talk to your pediatrician. With my first, I took him to the dr around time for him to eat, they weighed him, I nursed him, and then they weighed him again to see how much he was getting. Just an idea.

Answer by missanc at 11:39 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• First pumping is NOT an indicator of supply. Second why do you think you are not producing enough? Third stop supplementing the formula and just keep putting that child to your breast because it is supply and demand and if you supplement with formula then you sabotage that supply and demand relationship especially at only 1 week old. Your baby will likely nurse at least every couple hours if not more (15 minutes after last session is not uncommon) for the first month or so. Count wet and dirty diapers and make sure you have 6-8 a day. Is baby gaining weight? You need to find a good lactation consultant or La Leche League counselor in your area to make sure you have a good latch etc. If you truly have a supply issue (not likely at 1 week old though) then start eating oatmeal, get some Mother's Milk tea, fenugreek and make sure you are eating and drinking enough and getting enough rest.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:43 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Watch all 4 of these clips

Watch good latch with dr newman

Watch drinking chin pause latch with dr newman
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:48 PM on Sep. 6, 2010