Still not holding her bottle by herself

My daughter is just turned one last month on the 19th and I am getting kind of worried cause she still does not want to hold her bottle to drink by herself. I know she should already be using the sippy cup, but she just does not want to do it herself. Any tips on how to get her to do that? I try to put her hands on her bottle and show her how, but she just pulls her hands away and wants me to do it. Should I even be worried?

BellaBean23

Asked by BellaBean23 at 11:06 AM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son still wont hold his bottle and hes 15 months.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:08 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• try using a sippy cup with a straw, my son is the exact same way
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:09 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Because she knows you will do it. Just make her do it and don't hold it when she does not. If she really wants it she will hold it.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 11:09 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Easty...STOP doing it for her. When she gets thirsty enough, she will do it. There is no reason for a 1yr old to not be holding her own CUP by now. Most 6mth olds can do this. You need to force her to be independent. She should also be feeding herself at meal times by now. YES, it will be messy, but it is a necessary skill
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 11:09 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• i just put it down and let her grab it. she was not quite a year but just before a year when she learned how to do it herself. the sippy was a little longer. but i just put it down and walked away if she is really thirsty she will drink it.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 11:09 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• LOL! Don't worry at all. Some kids have a little bit less of an 'independent' streak in them. We have to encourage our firstborn to do everything for himself. He didn't hold his own drink until he was almost 18 months old and I was on bedrest. At that point he had no other choice. :D He didn't feed himself until almost 2 years. Now at 4 1/2 we give him his clothes and tell him he can't do anything else until he gets dressed! In other ways he is so independent, but if it is something mom and dad have done for him - he has no interest in starting it on his own. Wait until your next kid, you will be so shocked when he/she insists on doing everything her/himself! :D
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:11 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• How is she other-wise developmentally? Does she scoot or crawl? Does she have upper body strength otherwise? Does she sit up on her own? Does she feel herself puffs or cheerios or other table foods? If she's displaying normal behavior in other areas, but just not holding her bottle, then you might need to not give it to her until she does it herself. But if she has trouble in other areas as well, I'd have her evaluated by Early Childood Intervention really soon. You'd call now because it takes a few weeks for them to get to you. Ask you dr for a referral.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:14 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• (Spelling corrected, Sorry) How is she other-wise developmentally? Does she scoot or crawl? Does she have upper body strength otherwise? Does she sit up on her own? Does she FEED herself puffs or cheerios or other table foods? If she's displaying normal behavior in other areas, but just not holding her bottle, then you might need to not give it to her until she does it herself. But if she has trouble in other areas as well, I'd have her evaluated by Early Childood Intervention really soon. You'd call now because it takes a few weeks for them to get to you. Ask YOUR dr. for a referral.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:16 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Yeah she is a crazy crawler and pulls herself up on things. She is fine developmentally in pretty much everything else. She has always been one of those babies that NEVER puts anything in her mouth other than her hands and fingers. She can pick stuff up perfectly fine just does not put them to her mouth. Never took a pacifier either. She has seen a speech therapist and everything seems fine, just still does not want to hold her bottles by herself. I try all the time to guide her hands to her bottle and keep them there to have her hold it herself, but she just pulls away so fast and does not want to. I know I have to stop doing it for her to learn, but it's hard cause I know she wont just pick it up and do it herself.
    BellaBean23

Comment by BellaBean23 (original poster) at 11:18 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I guess I am different then most who answered your question! Why push your child to be more independent then they are comfortable with?? We are talking about a 12 month old not a 6 year old!! We don't push babies who are slow to walk or slow to crawl (unless something is obviously wrong). Why the need to push a child to give herself her own drink? Keep encouraging her to do it herself, but don't stress over it. She will reach a point that she wants to do it herself. My son son wouldn't dream of us feeding him or holding his drink by the time he was 2. You would never know he was slow in that area. He just liked letting us help. We kept encouraging him to do it himself, but it was stressful for him. He would do a little bit and then we would help him finish up.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:30 AM on Sep. 6, 2010