graduating high school was a big accomplishment for me - really??

I was reading a post in a group and many of the women said this. I found it SO odd. How hard is it to graduate high school???? They will graduate you with crap grades... all you have to do is show up. Does anyone really feel this way and want to explain why.

I simply dont understand... UNLESS... you have a ligitamate learning disability and therefore it truly was an accomplishment.

Oh... I thought of another reason... if you had a horrid childhood (homeless, foster care, etc) that made it difficult to get to school.

but those seem like extreme issues... for the regular jane it should be a given that you graduate... not some amazing accomplishment.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• You would be surprised! Some people seem to think that graduating high school is an option. It wasn't an option when I was growing up and It's not in my house!!

I went to a parent-teacher conference a few years ago and they always have a survey to take at the end. One of the questions was do you expect your child to graduate! This was when my kid was in elementary school! I answered "What kind of parent would I be if I didn't expect my kids to graduate high school!" I was dumbfounded by this question.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 11:42 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• What is easy for some may be difficult for others.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 11:39 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I loved high school, for the most part, but struggled through grades 4-5, 7-8, and 10-11. I had a hard time with some of my teachers, and didn't learn through their teaching methods very easily. It was a major accomplishment for me to graduate high school, as it is for everyone who puts 13 years into their primary and secondary education. Something that takes that long should be a recognized accomplishment.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 11:41 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I think this post is a little unfair. How do you know it wasn't a big accomplishment for them? Do you know all their struggles? And they don't just pass you if you just show up. I don't know what school you went to but I know plenty of kids who were held back for not working their butts off. You don't just get graduation handed to you. I don't know where you are getting your ideas from. I think every step up is an accomplishment. Way to belittle it though. Maybe if we were a little more positive when our kids did the right thing we wouldn't have this kind of attitude.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:48 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I did graduate with a bad GPA, LOL. But I was (am) hearing impaired and I really struggled. I'm not stupid, it's just hard to learn when you can't understand things, you know? I wouldn't say that I was proud, however, I was the first in my family to do it, so that I'm proud of. My parents didn't finish (my mom grew up in Germany, so it's a little different, but I know she didn't finish her schooling), both of my brothers dropped out. I was teased all throughout school and as I said, I had a hard time because of my impairment. So for me, yes it was an accomplishment. I wish that I had graduated with better grades, but I can't change that now obviously.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 11:47 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• For me high school wasnt hard at all so it was a givin that i would graduate and it didnt seem a big deal to me, but for my brother who has a hard time understanding things it was a big accomplishment for him so I can understand both sides
    kassee

Answer by kassee at 11:43 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• It was a huge deal for me and for my family for a lot of reasons. I just could not wrap my head around certain subjects and every year they were a struggle. I never thought I'd graduate. Then the state slapped one more standardized test on me and I almost didn't. I worked so hard to pass that test. We moved a lot one year for my dad's job and I was in three different schools. A lot of my family didn't even graduate high school but they pushed us to do it and go on to college. There are a ton of factors that make it easy or hard to graduate. Either way, I feel it's an accomplishment that should be tried hard for.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:49 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• No wonder you posted as an anon. I kinda understand what you are sayin but it is not nice to actually say it.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:54 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I was a wonderful student in high school, made the honor roll every semester, was involved in after school activities. I didn't graduate with my class because I dropped out about a month before graduation. i had moved out of my house when i turned 18 because of family issues-not that I was a little angel, but things were bad-and had to work to support myself. High school wasn't difficult for me but other aspects of my life were.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 11:55 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I think that the you are being judgmental.... HOW DO YOU KNOW THE SITUATION ANY ONE GREW UP IN? -- maybe they had a tough life, maybe they have difficulties, maybe they are the 1st to graduate, maybe they had to fight and struggle to do so.... etc.
    a
    nd BTW, in ALL states you CANNOT graduate just by getting through class -- you HAVE TO pass 1 or more tests -- which in many states are VERY diffcult -- for example in NY state you have to pass the Regents -- which used to be the HONORS test and now EVERYONE must pass in order to graduate -- it used to be that you could just get regents in some areas and now no way its for all.

Perhaps you need to educate yourself further in what is ACTUALLY takes to graduate now a days???
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 11:58 AM on Sep. 6, 2010