Job Discrimination: Is there anything I can do?

I have been looking for a part time job for a whle now and applied at the local Wal-Mart a few months back. My friend had heard that they were hiring then and needed people ASAP. I used t owork there so I figured I stood a pretty good chance of getting hired as they like to work with people who have prior experience.
Well at the time they said they didn't need any more people and I let it go.
Today my friend again called me because the hiring manager had just walked away from her after talking about needing to hire cashiers (where I am experienced at the store). I waited a little while so it wouldn't look like I was tipped off (about 30 minutes) and called and said, "I just wanted to check in and see if any posiions had opened up for the upcoming holidays."
She told me no and that they had just hired a bunch of people and were fully staffed right now. :(

This manager doesn't like my friend who I used as a reference...

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 11:55 AM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

• Probably not. Unless you can prove beyond reasonable doubt in a court of law, no. Managers are human beings too, and don't have to like everyone. That doesn't mean her decision was based on that. She could have told other people the same thing. Unless she says, I just don't like her, that's not enough. It very possibly could be it may not be what they are totally looking for. I have been a hiring manager before. There are so many things that my bosses would not allow me to discuss with employees about it. There may be so much your friend has no clue about.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:00 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Its not discrimination sweetie. She is allowed to hire based upon her opinion. thats legal. Go to work for Kmart, krogger, winn dixie. Better yet start your own business. Forget Wal-mart. Even IF she hired you, just because she doesnt like you, she will find a way to fire you so that it looks bad on your references later. be glad shes not hiring you. Right now you still have a pretty nice recommendation from that store, just dont put her name down as the person to contact. Move on, youll be better off it sounds like to me. ok?
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 12:06 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• No way to prove that ... and not discrimination by legal definitions
    yoliplus6

Answer by yoliplus6 at 11:56 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• there is no way to prove it, sorry keep trying.
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 11:57 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• not sure that there is anything you can do.... but why would you want to work for someone you know doesnt like you???
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 11:57 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Would you really want to work there after you go over your future manager's head and do that? And if you are not stating facts, like the manager plain siad she won't hire you because she doesn't like you, you look silly. Also, she may feel if your friend has shown poor work performance in the company's eyes that you will too.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:02 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• and didn't seem to like me when I worked there before even though I didn't really know her.

She knows who I am and is purposly not hiring m due to that.

Is there anything I can do?
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 11:56 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Yeah I know I have no proof, but she is purposely not hiring someone due to personal issues of not liking me. She is just a rude......

Would it do me any good to call and speak to a higher up manager than her?
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 11:58 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I don't care about working for her. If I am there under video surveillance then she can't say I've done something I haven't etc and get me into trouble. I just really want another PT job to fill in the gaps.
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 11:59 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• My friend ahs been there for 8 years and is a department manager. Not quite a hiring manager, but she has excellent wrok performance. :( This samemanager was rude to me when I worked there before.

I'm not going to do anything about it I guess... I really can't... I just wondered if there WAS anything I COULD do.
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 12:07 PM on Sep. 6, 2010