Worried about illegals in AZ.? What about these CRIMES??

It's more than a little ironic, isn't it, that Arizonans will work themselves into a frenzy -- to the point of passing a police-state ordinance like SB1070 -- because of a single case like the murder of border rancher named Robert Krentz, even though the crime is being widely blamed on Mexican drug cartel activity, which is actually a distinct issue largely separate from "illegal immigration". (Indeed, it's not even clear that in fact Krentz's murder came at the hands of Mexicans.)

And yet when a white supremacist drives up next to a mixed-race couple and opens fire with a shotgun because of their races, as happened last October, the case is greeted with a yawn. As was the man's arrest this week:

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 12:04 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't know if they are missing your point, or if they don't want to believe that Az government pushed these stories. I get what your saying sweet. The governor went to the media pushing these stories about illegals to scare everyone. It was completely political. Talking about the white supremacist doesn't fit into their agenda, so why are they going to talk about it with the media. Crimes with illegal immigrants are way down in Az, so why all this fuss now. Because they need to lock up more immigrants to make more money.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 4:25 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I agree, prosecute that man. However, I don't want ADDED crime. Don't you get that all illegal aliens are criminals? They are breaking the law simply by being here!
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 12:06 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Two completely separate issues. An attempt to compare apples to oranges, in order to deflect attention away from the real issue.
    yoliplus6

Answer by yoliplus6 at 12:13 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Arizona is now a police state??? Hang on while I go call my in-laws and tell them they should winter somewhere else. LOL! What a joke! You still haven't read the law have you sweet?

I will not be bashed because I didn't feel bad about something I didn't hear about. I will not be hounded into feeling sorry for ILLEGALS. They are breaking the law simply by being here.

I do tend to feel some support for those "vigilante" civilian border patrols though. I would not hesitate to kill to protect my family or property. Those groups are the only protection some of the ranches have.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:17 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I don't see how this white supremacist has anything to do with illegal immigration. Of course the white supremacist was wrong. However, so are those who come in our country illegally.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:08 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I agree that people who commit crimes should be punished - ALL crimes, and that includes being here ILLEGALLY (illegal = NOT legal = CRIME)
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 12:13 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I agree, I don't really see the relevance. They are two separate issues. Both important, of course. It's not like there is no such thing as other crime in AZ besides illegal immigration.

As far as the media goes... there's always been a bias. Think of the Casey Anthony story. It's not like she was the only mom to ever kill her child. A man in Philadelphia beat his child to death recently, it didn't attract half the attention the Anthony story did. Recently a mom poisoned her child with salt. Again, the outcry was minimal. They pick and choose the victims that will attract attention, and those are the biggest stories.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:06 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• illegal is illegal. i dont care if its a hate crime or someone here AGAINST THE LAW.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 12:33 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I will not be bashed because I didn't feel bad about something I didn't hear about. I will not be hounded into feeling sorry for ILLEGALS. They are breaking the law simply by being here.

clapping

tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:20 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Worried about illegals in AZ.?   Actually, I worry more about the one's here in TX because that's where I live. 

What about these CRIMES??  Not going to bother going over it.  All crime should have a consequence.  ALL. 

Oh, and I am still in favor of state's rights. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:12 PM on Sep. 6, 2010