What would you do?

I came upon 2 boys (maybe age 7 or 8?) and they were fighting (physical). It happened in front of the area where parents park to wait for their kids and nobody did anything! So, I ran up to the boys to stop the fight (one was screaming for help).

I didn't see what happened or who started it and as a parent, I'd know I'd want someone to step in if it were my kids.

I was trying to find out what happened but one of the boys hid from me and said, "Leave me alone!" So, I told the other boy to just wait by the crossing guard til his mom came.

Ever since, this one mom (big & scary!) who has been glaring at me every day, and the mom of the boy who hid from me -- I think it's his mom -- has been weird too. They were talking about it one day and both looked at me as I went to my car with my child.

I know I sound paranoid, but did I do the right thing by stepping in and stopping the fight? (cont’d.)….

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:53 PM on Oct. 13, 2008 in General Parenting

• you did the right thing...they probably wish they had your son who is well behaved and they are embarressed. no worries....
    Anonymous

• Yes....you did the right thing....but some people are just weird......my dh is a high school teacher and soooooo many of the parents stick up for their kids when they know they did the wrong thing.....

They could feel like they need to stand up for their kid.....even though it was the boys fault for fighting...not yours..... Does that make any sense....sounded better in my head ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:57 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Cont’d. from above:

Both these women are scary and it's freaking me out a bit when I see them, especially since I was just trying to help! I try to be “nice” to the big, scary mom by smiling at her, and I don’t really have any interaction with that other mom.

I try not to park in that area anymore either, but some days it can’t be helped. And today, (she usually sits in her car the whole time), as I came out with my child and was walking to my car, she was walking up from it! It just freaks me out because she could have taken down my license plate to find out where I live, etc.

Anonymous

• Cont'd. from above:

Yes but both these women are scary and it's freaking me out a bit when I see them, especially since I was just trying to help! I try to be "nice" to the big, scary mom by smiling at her and I don't really have any interaction with that other mom. I try not to park in that area anymore either, but some days it can't be helped.

And today, (she -- the big, scary one -- usually sits in her car the whole time), as I came out with my child and was walking to my car, she was walking up from it! It just freaks me out because she could have taken down my license plate to find out where I live, etc.

Anonymous

• They would have to be REALLY freaky to do that kind of thing.....but its possible.....Maybe you could try to strike up a conversation and be flippant about the situation....ya know....like boys with be boys....like it was no big deal to you. You could get a better idea of their feelings about it....and know if you should be more cautious or not....

Its scary to do that...but its better than being paranoid......

I would just do it in a very public place BEFORE you pick up your dd......just to be safe.....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:04 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I'd want someone to stop my kids from fighting and, as long as you didn't touch the kids, you didn't do anything wrong. I'd try to say something to the mom(s). Yeah, I know, easy for me to say.
    Anonymous

• I think you did. There is a junior high acrossed the street from where I work. The kids live in this neighborhood and always walk by my office window after school. One day a group of them stopped infront of my window and watched as 2 boys started fighting, like it was a plan! Well one of the kids was a good foot taller than the other boy and he was whaling on this tiny kid, so I called the cops. Then I yelled out the window, knock it off the cops are on the way. The 911 guy yelled at me and told me to let them fight so they can catch them. Um, by the time you actually get an officer out here the kid will be half dead! Yeah I want that on my concious. Maybe they went down the street and started fighting again, but I did the right thing and would do it again. And so did you.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 6:18 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• You did the right thing! Some mothers are just stupid & think their child doesnt do anything wrong. If I was one of them women I would have said thank you. You could of let it go & then they would be threatening you because you didnt do anything. Id take it to the police to see what you should do. The cops will ask them what their problems are?
    Anonymous

• You did the right thing, the problem with this world today is that no one wants to get involved. If the mom's look at you weird again I would say something to them. You can't worry about what other people think when it comes to protecting kids.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 7:44 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• You did the right thing, I think these woman are acting weird because they are embarrassed about how their children were acting. Therefore they will act defensive towards you. You shouldn't be scared of them...people like that smell fear..lol....just be yourself and do what you normally do. You did hte right thing. Even if those other moms don't realize it.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 12:43 AM on Oct. 14, 2008