Should I change my son and I's last name?

Ok, backstory...
My ex named my son when he was born, a horrible name that I hated. Let's just say Bartholomew was involved. So, I changed my sons name to something that I loved (Jack) after my ex and I got divorced. When I divorced I kept my married name, Morris, because I wanted to have the same last name as my son... NOW, my ex (the idiot) wants to change his last name, add a "Mc" to it, McMorris. So that would leave my son and I with Morris while his dad is McMorris (or my ex will change my sons name to McMorris too). But that would leave me as a Morris by myself.
My options... Change my name to McMorris (to be like my son), change my son and I's names back to my maiden name, or try to talk my ex into Not changing his name at all... OR, leave our (me and son) name Morris and let my ex just change his....
What would you do?
As you can see, I've already been through one name change with my son, I don't think we should again

TessaHoney

Asked by TessaHoney at 12:08 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Relationships

• id would change my name& my sons to my maiden bt thats just me.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 12:11 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• What would be the purpose of changing Jack's name again? How would it be in Jack's best interest? Who really cares what the ex wants to call himself? And regardless of what the ex chooses to call himself, why should that influence changing Jack's name?
    yoliplus6

Answer by yoliplus6 at 12:12 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Names have been changed to protect the innocent.
    TessaHoney

Comment by TessaHoney (original poster) at 12:08 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• When my son was born my husband I weren't married.i put my maiden name into his name, as a second middle name so he could have his father's last name. However, when we got married, i took my husbands name and my son and i have the same middle and last names. I understand wanting to have the same last name as your son, but if you ended up remarried, you guys would have different last names...so maybe just ask your ex not to change last names-why does he want to change it anyway? If he insists, just let him do whatever and maybe put Morris into your son's middle name...although Morris McMorris is going to sound a little weird...He does sound like an idiot, lol.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 12:13 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• My ex wants to change his name because... Well he's just crazy in my opinion. There really isn't a reason. Also that's part of it, if I ever did get remarried, chances are my new husband would adopt my son (my ex doesn't want him, just can't sign away his parental rights until there's someone to sign them over to). So there is no family connection with the name Morris, we have no contact with my ex's family. I would prefer going back to my maiden name... But I don't feel its fair for my son to have to go through yet another name change.
    TessaHoney

Comment by TessaHoney (original poster) at 12:17 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• yoliplus6 is right ... how would it be in the child's best interest?
    And really? it wouldn't. Not at all.
    Your preference isn't what's important
    What's in the best interest of the child is what's important.
    and you're right - it is NOT fair to have him go through yet another name change.
    snivic

Answer by snivic at 12:26 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Why can't your ex just sign off rights to the child to you? Since when does there HAVE to be 2 parents? I don't understand that.

Why would you change your and your son's last name just to match your ex's? There is no reason if the ex doesn't have anything to do with your son. And I know he can not just go to court and have them change the child's name without your consent. I say just leave things alone, but if you really want to change your last names, then your maiden name would probably be best to disassociate from your ex.
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 12:40 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• My ex is in the army, that's why he can't sign away his parental rights. I don't know if he wasn't in the army if he could then...
    TessaHoney

Comment by TessaHoney (original poster) at 1:03 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• My vote is to leave it as it is.Let your ex go to all the expense of just being plain crazy.
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 1:31 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• How old is he? if he's still young I would switch both back to your maiden name, you just said your ex wants nothing to do with him, so I would change it to his new name. If he's older I would just go ahead and keep morris
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 12:36 PM on Sep. 6, 2010