Smoke smell out of cloths..????

My step MIL gave me some of her grand-daughters cloths for my dd....and I washed them all b/c they smoke and they stink.....well....the smell has come out of all the cloths except for this one cute sweat shirt....I have washed it 4 different times in TIDE with Febreeze...and Oxiclean and fabric softeners.....Any other ideas....I would like to keep it....but I cant stand the smell....

Is it a gonner....?

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 6:00 PM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Home & Garden

• You can try baking soda and vinegar. It got the dog urine smell out of my DD's clothes. We had a jealous dog. LOL I put a scoop of soda in the wash and put vinegar in like I would downy, We have a dispenser on our machine or you can use a ball. Do an extra rinse so you don't have the vinegar smell and it should take care of it. It also got the smoke smell out of her baby blanket my grandmother made her. I hope this helps!

I don't let anyone smoke around my DD. At Thanksgiving/Christmas I let everyone know before that if they want us to come then they smoke outside. I haven't had any problems with them going outside but I have had my cousins get mad at me b/c they have to go out in the cold to smoke. I just tell them to quit smoking and we wouldn't have a problem. LOL
    jflowers

Answer by jflowers at 6:55 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• probably, but maybe u should tell the grandma about that. the smell is horirble and no one wants that on their baby,
    Anonymous

• Oh yes...she knows....its a sore spot in our family......all of my dh family smoke and I hate it.....thats why I am particular about the cloths and we dont go over there....they come here.....I cant stop her from smoking around her other grandchildren though....but they know how I feel about it.....they think I am a stick in the mud..... oh well....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:06 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• well good for you at least :)
    Anonymous

• yeah i agree, no one wants to smell a baby like that. and you can stop them call CPS, thats hurting the childrens lungs!!! its pathetic they do that its abuse to their bodies!!!
    Anonymous

• I have a keen sense of smell when it comes to smoke....if it smells like it even a bit....I can tell and I have even thrown away beautiful baby blankets b/c of it.....people who smoke have no idea how bad it smells.....at least my inlaws dont.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:08 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Man I would start a family war calling CPS......I would probaby cause the end of my marriage too.....even though my dh doesn't like the smoke he is a firm believer to stay outta others business...
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:09 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• but its a little kid that cant control that. its hurting their bodies and by not doing something about it, your just sitting saying its okay. you already said you dont want your kid around it because its so disgusting and its bad for their body. why let it happen to other kids in your family? second hand smoke is worse too.
    Anonymous

• Your preaching to the choir here.....but its something that millions of people do everyday. I work at a preschool and half our kids come in reaking of smoke.....should I report every single one of them......

While I do believe it is terrible to smoke around a child.....I feel like the agents time could be better spent with children who are getting beaten and burned by cigs and killed.

Parents do things ALL the time that harms kids....but you cant control everything....part of it is free will to a certain point...

This child that I am talking about is now 7....her mother is in jail....which is why she is living with grandparents....her mother was sentanced for manslaugter....the story is much more complicated....but considering where she could be its a heck of a lot better.....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:21 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I agree, vinegar does a grate job. Soak it in vinegar, rinse, wash and add baking soda, use vinegar in the rinse (like you would fabric softener and then lay in the sun to dry. The sun is great at removing stains and smells also. :) Good luck!
    mama3ks97

Answer by mama3ks97 at 6:58 PM on Oct. 13, 2008