snotty mom

I had a small run in with a mom yesterday... and I wasnt even defending my own kid. But I think she has a bit of a chip on her shoulder because her kid isnt supper "in" with the other team members. They ALL treat the girl great but she isnt really included in tons of social activities. Basically the girl is sweet but socially awkward. The girl like her but they wouldnt choose to hang out with her one on one out side of the sport.

Her daughter is in a play and Im considering taking a group of team mates to see the play... kind of help out a bit.

What do you think? Too planed, and I should just stay out. Or a nice gesture?

btw... these are 15 & 16 yr olds

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think it's a very nice jesture. I would send the e-mail and see what happens.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 12:47 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Ohhh wait i just saw that I missed the point of this question, completely, sorry. yeah, take them. even if their not best friends, it would be nice for her to see that she's being supported by her team mates. Maybe then it would be easier for her to come out of her shell? it could also be a good lesson for the girls, you know, support your own, even if you're not inseparable.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 12:18 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• thats nice of you
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 12:15 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• at that age, its just going to be weird if you make them invite the girl...even if your girls are very nice, the other girl will probably pick up on it. nothing is more awkward for the already socially awkward teen than the feeling that she's there out of pity or because mommy dearest pitched a fit. i bet that girl would be mortified if she knew her mother got up in arms about her not being invited.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 12:16 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• erinwhitt... i think you mis-understood. The "awkward" girl is in the play. I was going to email the team to see who wanted to go to the play and I would drive.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:17 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• It's nice of you but seriously may only create more problems. 15 & 16 year old are MEAN. They are only going to pick on her and talk more crap about her if she has to have people coaxed into going to her play and being around her. She will make friends on her own one day through being herself and those people will be who matter the most in her life. I would say to just leave it be. Ask the teens if they WANT to go to the play and if they don't then don't force it.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:18 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• lol. yeah, when i reread it i was like, oops. my b.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 12:19 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• 15/16 year olds? I'd encourage them to so see the play, but I sure wouldn't be taking them, that would seem far too contrived. Let them know that it would be nice to go and support their teammate and then step back.
    yoliplus6

Answer by yoliplus6 at 12:21 PM on Sep. 6, 2010