My kids breath smells AWFUL! What can I do?

My girls are almost 5 and 3 1/2. They brush two or more times a day, don't eat sweets but rarely, drink diluted juice, milk or water. They eat veggies and fruits and such. They eat RIGHT ON TRACK with the FDA.

Their diet has not changed recently, nor have their dental hygene habits... yet in the past year or so they have bth developed HORRIBLE smelling breath. It literally smells like poop to me. I gag when they breathe in my face.

They have had blood tests done at the pedi and nothing is causing it. The dentists have checked them out and found nothing. Like I said their diet has not changed.

I don't know WHAT is causing it. :(

What can I do? I don't want them to have this breath their whole life.

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 12:15 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Could be sinuses, lack of flossing (food can rot in your teeth & stay for weeks if not flossed properly, could be a mild food allergic reaction. My DD's breath was very stinky. We started flossing daily & scrubbing her tongue very well & it's so much better. It was hard getting her to floss regularly, i usually have to do it for her. Here is a good article.

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/kids-bad-breath

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:29 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Make sure they brush their tongues when they brush teeth. Lots of bad breath germs stay on your tongue.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 12:25 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• stomach issues

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:16 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Maybe sinus issues. Did the pedi check for that?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:21 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• ugh, I'm the same way, lol. my husband makes fun of it and calls me death breath. i brush my teeth after EVERY SINGLE THING I eat. Or at least pop a mint. I'm pretty sure when i was 5 I was using mouth wash...but I don't know if the 3 1/2 yr old can use it...maybe just have them brush their teeth a little more during the day. Some people just have stinky breath :/
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 12:22 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• My son had really nasty breathe from the age of one to three, they couldn't figure out what was causing it... turns out it was an sinus issue... (he had a really nasty green boogers too.) He fell & hit his nose & almost a week later it stopped. (not saying to hit your children in the nose) But to have an ears, & throat doctor check them out.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 12:24 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• That was tested by the pedi, negative.
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 12:20 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• They brush their tounges and the roof of their mouth. I do that and therefore have my children do that as well when they brush. Sinuses have been checked out as well. My youngest has sinus issues but they said nothing that would cause the breath dilemma. I let them use kids type mouthwash. The dentist said it is okay for my younger one. But it doesn't help.
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 12:29 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• VITAMINS !!!! Do your children take any vitamins or naturopathic remedies, etc...for a consistent period of time ? that will do it !!! a friend of my mothers sold vitamins, etc...and omg, her breath smelled like poop...it was horrible....she finally decided not to do it anymore and her breath was back to normal.....
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 1:46 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• My daughter was like this; it was due to post nasal drip.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 4:06 PM on Sep. 6, 2010