Osteoporosis and the way we eat 25 yrs or more later

do you think the way we eat now has anything to do if we get osteoporosis compared to the way our parents made us eat as a child. and do you think there is a way to reverse osteoporosis natually with out medications. what kind of diet have you used if you have osteoporosis to increase bone density? what are your t-scores ?

Windwalker2002

Asked by Windwalker2002 at 12:23 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Health

• Eating foods with calcium and magnesium, Vitamin D, is important from childhood on and can help prevent osteoporosis but there are other factors involved. The causes of osteoporosis can be many.
    Smoking,drinking too many sodas and drinking too much alcohol will be some of the other factors involved in losing bone mass. I had a bone scan last year and found that I have beginning osteoporosis and I'm taking Boniva. I was shocked beause I eat really good food-calcium rich food. But I did smoke until Dec 2003 and I do drink wine with meals so that could be part of the reason. Also they say that light skinned,blue eyed,small boned women are more liketo have osteoporosis and that describes me. I don't think anyone ever gave me any scores.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:30 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I forgot to mention my diet as a kid. :-) My mom insisted that we drink milk and we never had any kind of sodas. We ate fish alot and cheese,etc,foods with calcium. None of us were overweight. I got a really good start in life.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:32 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• my BMD measured at AP Spine L-1 is 0.834 g/cm with a T-score of -2.5 which dr said was osteoporotic and my BMD at AP Spine L-4 was 0.854g/cm with a T-score of- 2.9,also osteoporotic.
    then after L-2 and 3 was listed as osteopenia with T-scores of -2.0 at L-2 and L-3 a T-score of -2.2,

then the paper states the BMD Measured at AP SPINE L-1 THROUGH L-4 0.895 g/cm with T-score of -2.4 which would be osteopenia
    this confuses me..am i osteopenia or osteoporotic in L-1 and L-4.

all the Femur T scores are beloW -1.9

I cant get in to see my dr until the end of september to explain these scores to me.
    Windwalker2002

Comment by Windwalker2002 (original poster) at 1:01 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• i was also a smoker until last year. very active, non drinker, my height was 5 ft 4 inches, weighed 143 pds but i also took the depo shot for 13 years, drs never told me no to take it longer than 5 yrs.
    since last yr ive gained 42 pds since i quit smoking and suffered a right ruptured vetrebra artery pseusoaneurysm and partially collapsed lung.
    Windwalker2002

Comment by Windwalker2002 (original poster) at 1:06 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Some prefer to have a hip replacement after knowing that they have osteoporosis to prevent falls from happening. There are some supplements that can be taken to halt the progression of osteoporosis. Exercise can also help. 

CatRus09

Answer by CatRus09 at 3:15 PM on Feb. 24, 2012