Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

I am interested in becoming a Teaching Assistant. Advice anyone???

I have a degree in child study. A friend told me that you don't neccessarily have to have a teacher's certificate to teach in schools. They changed that rule 10 years ago. His daughter is a teachers assistant and that is what he told me. I got my degree in a different state and over 20 years ago. Is there any process or requirement I need- maybe updating anything that needs to be done. After graduation I worked in a few day cares(2), but then I went outside of my degree and worked in different areas.


Asked by CatPaws2 at 12:28 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 7 (186 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • You do not need a certificate to be a TA here in IL. You do need some college. It seems you have that covered. Just start going to district websites and applying. Most districts are all online now a days. If you ever want to TEACH in a classroom, I am sure you'll have to take some required courses to get your state teaching certificate.


    Answer by KairisMama at 1:06 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

  • Your county education system website should list the requirements for teacher aides as well as openings at the schools in your area.

    Answer by ecodani at 12:31 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

  • I would think this is something which varies from school district to school district. Contact your local school district(s) and ask them what the requirements are.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 4:53 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

  • Well, here in Missouri, I think you need to have something like 60 college credit hours. The pay is very minimum. For the amount of work you have to do, I found it was not worth it. I knew someone that got put in a "special needs" class, because that's where they tend to need more assistance. She was changing diapers, kicked, and even bit. It was a mess. I would seriously ask to go check out what you would be doing before you accept.

    Answer by m-avi at 12:34 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

  • Each state has it's own laws for teachers, subs, ect. Private schools and charter schools usually can make their own rules. The pay is usually min. wage or a little above. You can find the requirements on your state's department of education web site. You could make more as a sub. Now that unemployment is so high it is harder to get a job as a sub. In IN you only had to have 60 cr hours. I now live in AZ and you have to have a 4 year degree.

    Answer by Gailll at 12:45 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

  • m-avi, I think the benefits of teaching should be in the job not in the pay check. If you love helping kids and enjoy teaching than, Cat, that is what you should do. If everyone did everything just for the money than I don't think anyone would enjoy what they did.

    Answer by GinNTonic at 12:47 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

  • Left out of the question where I live-I live in Florida.

    Comment by CatPaws2 (original poster) at 2:21 PM on Sep. 6, 2010