Do I go with My Family Doctor or My RA Doctor?

Sorry kind of long.
I am on some meds that might be causing me liver damage. My last blood work show my liver panel had risen on 3 datagories 10-25 points higher then normal range. I have had numerous blood work done since July of 2008 everything normal range.. Except Platelets.. That is from the AS .. I am supposed to start treatment (Enbrel) for my AS and my question is..
Family doctor says to wait on the treatments so that we can find out why my liver panel is high..
RA doctor says to go ahead with the treaments knowing that my liver panel is high.
I will be seeing a Gastro the same day I see my RA this week....... Not sure whose side to take? My opinion is I should wait to see exactly what it is that is making my liver panel high????

JamiesMom08

Asked by JamiesMom08 at 6:07 PM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Health

• I really don't know, did you tell you family doctor what your RA doctor recommended? A family doctor deals with a larger spectrum of issue's and a RA is more specialized.

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 6:25 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I would ask BOTH Dr's to explaine their reasoning to you, so you can make an informed decision.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:50 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• First, what is AS?
    I have had to deal with liver issues too, and when my Rheumy was consulted on this, she said my liver panels weren't high enough to be of concern and my treatments needed to continue.
    I ended up with liver issues, but at that time she agreed that I needed off the meds.
    I think it will depend on whether or not your treatment outweighs the liver damage. Good luck.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:09 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• The family doctor said that we should wait because why tack something on top of it lets find the problem first.
    The RA doctor said it should not effect the liver pane?/
    Well I call the RA and said tht I was going to wait for treatment just for a week or or so to make sure the liver does not REALLY have any issues..
    AS is ankylosing spondylitis.. Google it.. it is what it says.... kind of scary to read.. But the Enbrel is going to help I have faith..
    SusieD250 -- what happens when you have liver disease????????
    I see a GASTRO on Thrusday .. wish me luck..
    Thanks to ALL of you !!

JamiesMom08

Answer by JamiesMom08 at 10:45 AM on Oct. 14, 2008