open bars at weddings am i being rude

So because of the Hall that df& i are renting we are required to have open bar which is new to my family, for our cousins wedding or Quincenieras we always rented Bingo ballrooms that had cash bar. Now this past July my sister got married, keep in mind that my sister n her dh are a whole lot well off than most people in our family so of course they were okay w/the open bar at their wedding, one thing that everybody noticed was how people were acting w/this open bar, we had people taking from 4-6 drinks at a time n people who were not even invited were showing up, , now for our wedding my df & i will be paying for everything , my father will help but wont cover the entire wedding. Im doing things different i told my mother that it will be invitation required& there will be a list if u werent invited by my df& i u wont be allowed, keep in mind that were on a low budget, my mother sd im being rude, am i?

gabby06

Asked by gabby06 at 12:47 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Food & Drink

• no i dont you are
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 12:50 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• no i dont think u are
    britme1027

• no!~ People who are not invited are NOT allowed to come anyways. and for those that don't have a hubby/wife/gf.. I would put ONLY their name on the invite (DON'T PUT MISS.SMITH AND GUEST). They should get the hint. your not being rude your not invited, or you don't RSVP in a timely manner then they have NO place at your wedding!
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 12:52 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Open bars are the norm around here ... cash bars are not. I've never noticed it being a problem with any guests, I suppose it just depends on who your friends are. But yes, generally only people who are invited should be attending the wedding reception - others are attempting to "crash" the party.
    yoliplus6

Answer by yoliplus6 at 12:52 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• your not being rude!!! maybe put a cash jar next to bar to help pay for the booze.... make sure it doesnt say tip cause then the bartender will take it... put on it that its to help the newlyweds get you drunk lol
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 12:52 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• How is that rude? Our wedding was invite only, response card required, and we did not have an open bar. We are not big drinkers and didn't want to break the bank on alcohol. We gave each person a 2 drink max "on us" and the rest they had to pay for.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 12:53 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Yeah... that's going to be expensive. Are the invites printed yet? If not, I think I would keep looking for a different venue for the reception. Even if another one is more expensive, you will most likely still come out ahead because the open bar is going to be really really expensive.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 12:54 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Nope. I would find a different place to have your wedding at. The bar makes all the difference between breaking the bank and do-able. Seriously. We had an option to have 3 mixed drinks that people could have, and anything more than that was cash bar. i didn't want people getting wasted at my wedding, and I wanted to keep it classy, but not push people away either. Most people just use wedding receptions as a reason to get drunk for free... not cool.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 12:57 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I see nothing wrong with INVITE ONLY. Only those who are invited should be in attendance. As far as the open bar goes, that is normal at a wedding anyway I thought. I've never been to a cash bar wedding.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:57 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I don't think you are being rude.I think you are being sensible.And it's also YOUR wedding.Don't allow anyone to rain on it.I wish you all the luck in the world!!! : )
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 12:59 PM on Sep. 6, 2010