Would you get her one?

For a while now, my 14 year old has wanted a teacup chihuahua. Hubby and I don't know if we should get her one or not. We only have a cat but the cat gets along with most animals. My daughter is a very good kid and very responsible. If this was your daughter what would you do?

russianitk

Asked by russianitk at 1:04 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yeah, I don't see why not. If she is responsible enough to care for the animal, I don't see any conflict.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:05 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• i would
    expressmom911

Answer by expressmom911 at 1:05 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• If she is serious than yeah, shes old enough to take care of it except for the vet and food bills and you can always make her give it away if she doesn't do the playing, bathing and loving that animals need. She sounds ready.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 1:06 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I don't see why not. If she will take care of it herself and she really has "earned" it with behavior.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 1:07 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• If she is responsible as you say then yes. Just remember what comes along with getting a dog. Who's going to take it out to the bathroom? feed it? ect. Address this issues and see what she says. Who's going to pay for everything an animal needs. What if the animal becomes sick? Who's going to pay the vet bill? Just questions to consider.
    icandothis31

Answer by icandothis31 at 1:11 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Who's going to take it out to the bathroom? feed it? ect. Address this issues and see what she says. Who's going to pay for everything an animal needs. What if the animal becomes sick? Who's going to pay the vet bill?

all of these were very good questions, from a PP ...

and no, I probably wouldn't .. she's 14. in a few years, she'll be going to college. The dog couldn't go. It would be left with the family.
    She should get her dog after college, when she's living on her own.
    yoliplus6

Answer by yoliplus6 at 1:23 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• The only catch with a 14 year old is that she will potentially be going away to college in a couple of years. If she is in residence, where will the dog live? My basic rule for animals is that I won't take on an animal that I'm not willing to take care of. If you don't mind taking on the responsibility of a dog, go for it! However, if you will resent getting stuck with this animal if your daughter can't be the primary owner due to school, I wouldn't do it.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 1:31 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• No, but only because we have made the rule of no more inside animals and I can't see putting something that small outside.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:38 PM on Sep. 6, 2010