Did we evolve around our tools or did we adapt our tools to ourselves?

Humanoids lost their pelts and began growing less sparse body hair shortly after we learned to use fire and build shelter. The bone structure that allows us to walk upright developed before we began using more complex tools, but we first learned to hit things with rocks and sticks before we walked upright. Would we still have lost our pelts without the fire? Would we still have figured out how to throw a pointed stick if we'd never learned to walk on two legs? Without technology, would we ever have become homo sapiens (technology in it's real definition - the use of tools and complex processes, not just things with batteries and lights) or would we still be running around a step removed from chimps?

Yes, this falls under belief, not religion - they really need to fix that name.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 1:06 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Religious Debate

• honestly the answer is both. whole some technology IE our ancestors discoverying they could do things easier, better, faster, etc with discoveries in tools etc these things came about BECAUSE of changes in thinking and evolving. whereas some technology say today we seem to evolve more AROUND IT IE the internet, cell phones etc. its all a hand in hand process. some good somebad. and not all humans lost thier pelts. you have not seen my husband without a shirt on. LOL
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 1:30 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• On a microevolution scale ... both ... on a macroevolution scale ... neither.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 1:57 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I believe as we adapted we grew into the tools readily available to us from the earth. We grew into our ability of complext thought and started using the tools around us. Which helped us adapt more to our surroundings and develop more into what we know today.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:02 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• One way too look at it is to look at the diversity of tools. As Hominids developed larger brain cases (and theoretically more smarts) we adapted our environment to meet our needs. There are many animals that use tools in the sense of technology but it is the Hominid that has advanced and adapted tool use to allow them to exist and even thrive in just about every environment on this planet. I have never seen the loss of pelt and use of fire postulated quite like that before so I will have to review some of my older physical anthro stuff (I don't use it much so I do forget details)

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 3:43 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• It's a great question, and we will never knew the answer but it's really interesting. Was there one invention or discovery that set us on the path of becoming the humans we see today?  We don't know.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:22 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Who knows-very interesting and I guess can be argued either way. I think its really interesting how we evolve and change- wish I could see into the future and see what "we" will look like....
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 4:50 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Funny, I don't remember ever having a "pelt".
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 4:56 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• ...a little bit of both...

Evolve  fish  evolvefish evolution charles darwinfish creationism baptist fishy  car emblem plaque

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 4:39 PM on Sep. 7, 2010