The Binky....ugh!

So my son now throws a fit everytime we turn around over his binky..if he loses it while sleeping will wake up screaming like he is seriously hurt, but he isn't just upset cuz he lost the binky. Today he was laying down and I thought he was ready for nap, but kept talking and playing so I made him some lunch...he had a late breakfast so didn't really think he was hungry but I though I would try anyways to feed him...he threw the biggest fit ever b/c I asked him to put his binky on his pillow. When I picked him up out of his bed he began to slap at me. I know this prob means I should get rid of the thing, but its such a comfort item when he is tired and ready for bed. I am afraid he will start sucking his thumb if I take it now:/ I don't know what to do...I am just tired of the fit thats for sure over the binky! (Oh my son is 20 months btw)

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 1:10 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• cold turkey and let him cry it out
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 1:11 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Time to let go of pacifiers, he's nearly 2!
    yoliplus6

Answer by yoliplus6 at 1:12 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• THROW AWAY ALL BINKIS NOW! Yes the first week or so will be horrible but his teeth and palate are in danger of shifting. Also, if he hits tell him no and why hitting is wrong. Disipline the bad behavior but calmly bc he will be stressed from the binki situation. Does he have a blakie? Help him replace the binki with some like a blankie.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 1:15 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• trust me. the first night or two he might throw a fit. you might want to tear your hair out. but that passes FAST. honest. he will very soon get over it being gone.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 1:27 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Same answer here. Get ALL of the binkys and give them away or toss them. I let my son throw them away himself and that worked really good because when he would ask I told him that my big boy threw them all away and he would whine at first and yes hit because for some reason thats what boys do at that age but that didnt last long at all. It also helps to put them to a nap when they are REALLY tired cause they dont even think about it lol
    ladybugky88

Answer by ladybugky88 at 1:39 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Samuel was never a binky person..except the first 4 months..then he was like whatever with these things! -.-
    Here's a bump!
    SparklingHope

Answer by SparklingHope at 5:19 PM on Sep. 6, 2010