We've been making our own babyfood, and wanted to start meat and chicken in the next month. Any advice on how to accomplish this?

DancinBear63

Asked by DancinBear63 at 1:18 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You shouldn't have to do anything special if baby has been self feeding. check out /www.babyledweaning.com">baby led solids particularly the gil rapely article.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:20 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Just cut it into small pieces and put it on his tray. Chicken and fish are fine... beef needs to be slow cooked to be soft enough. Don't do anything special, just offer whatever you're eating.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:59 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:15 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I just always broke of soft pea sized pieces of the meat I had cooked for myself. Chicken breast and ground beef are particularly easy!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:47 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Around 9 mo is a good time. I would save some steak and after it was cold cut it very very thin, shaved. Then I would put it in a pile for my grandson to feed himself. Chicken I would take moist parts or get them moist with the chicken juices or water and then shred.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:04 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I would never use ground beef with infants, I don't even eat it myself much. It tends to stay in hard to swallow pea size shapes that can be choked on. I have had GERD since I was a baby and I have some problems swollowing and ground beef is one of the easiest things for me to choke on. My son works in a meat dept of a natural food store and if we are going to have it he brings home some that he has just ground himself and then I cook it right away very slowly smashing it with the cooking spoon so it doesn't form the little balls.

Tongue is actually a great first meat. It was one of my 3 sons first meats. You can cook it in the slow cooker. We are from IN but live in AZ now. Mexicans eat tongue and it's easy to find here but they wonl't eat it now and won't let me feed it to my grandson. LOL

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:10 PM on Sep. 6, 2010