How can i g3t my 16 month old son off of his binky???

h3 cant go to sl33p w.out it and wh3n h3 s33s it h3 cri3s for it!! if h3 do3snt s33 it during th3 day h3 wont want it but as soon as it hits b3dtim3 h3 will not go to sl33p w.out it!! what to do???

Asked by Sh3r33Ann at 8:19 PM on Jun. 30, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Throw it out and let him scream... Im really not a paci fan.

But in all seriousness.. i guess i would start setting limits to when he could use it and then making them more restriced as time goes on.

• I hated when people told me this, but it truly is the only thing that works...throw it away!

• well how I broke my child from the binky was i had to slit the top and she still sucked on it. So i had to cut it up in front of her.. She screamed and saw me throw it in the trash can. I told her she was a big girl now and she didnt need that yucky thing any more.. Oh the first night she screamed for it but you cant give in.. The second day she didnt even cry she went to bed with out it. and didnt ask for it again. now she will be three and when she sees kids her age and younger with a binky she says thats for babies!!!! but hope that helped!! also i heard to put hot sauce on the binky and they wont want it.. But my daughter loves hot stuff so it didnt work for her

Answer by laurensmommy827 at 8:25 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I cut a hole in the end of it the day before my kids turned one. It worked like a charm, they didn't want the binky anymore. If that doesn't work, do what the others suggested and throw it out. He'll fuss for a few days but he'll get over it.

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:25 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• have him wrap it up as a present and tell him you're gonna give it to a baby because a baby needs it. then give it to someone who has just had a baby. worked GREAT!

Answer by Ambreelulu at 8:29 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• try to put a little vinger on it

Answer by Angel267 at 8:32 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• i had a 21/2 year old that was dearly attached to her binky. what we did worked like a charm. we took her binky and cut a small hole in the tip of it. each day we made the hole a little bigger to the point where there was so suction. we would tell her yukky binky and this only took 2 days to accomplish.

Answer by mindy440 at 8:45 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I saw this one on super nanny...but tell him that he's going to mail it to the paci fairy and she will come and get it b/c he's a big boy now.....then the next day go to the mailbox...and he should have a surprise for big boys in there...with fairy "dust" and all....worked like a charm on the show I watched.....

Answer by love_my_boys at 8:52 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• We took a sissors width off the top everyday... eventually it would not stay in her mouth and she said "here, sucks all gone"

Answer by MyMomCares at 9:09 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I just broke my 21 month old son from his last week. I had tried it a week before but when I put him to bed without it he screamed bloody murder for an hour and I was sick and couldn't take it anymore so I gave in and gave it back. Then last week there was a day that he had been very active all day and really worn himself out so when bedtime came he was ready. I simply put him to bed with all the usual routine and did not give or mention the paci which I had hidden so he wouldn't see it. He went right to sleep without it and we haven't had a problem since.

Answer by rasbneon at 9:15 PM on Jun. 30, 2008