Avon, MaryKay, Pure Romance, Pampered Chef, Tastefully Simple...

anyone selling these things? also, do you make any money? i would think that in this economy it would be tough....am i wrong?

mamagee1218

Asked by mamagee1218 at 1:22 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

• well, i used to sell mary kay, and i did make a little bit of money, but it's definitely a numbers game. if you don't have the numbers in your favor (ie, people willing to purchase your product, then you won't make money. no matter what you do, it's going to take money (that you usually don't have) to start your business, and if your customers don't buy what you have, then you've pretty much wasted your money. you usually have to sell and replenish a certain amount of product per month, so definitely make sure whatever you do, do a little more research before diving into it. me personally, i wish i never got into it, because i put way too much time and money into it that i won't get back.

either way, good luck to you! :)
    aydensXmommy

Answer by aydensXmommy at 1:31 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I sell Avon, it's easier to make money off that. I have sold Cookie Lee, The Pampered Chef and I did look into Mary Kay. Mostly its how hard you try too.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 1:29 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I used to sell Mary Kay... back then it was just so hard to make a profit. To get the best discount you had to buy lots of quantity to stock, every season they changed the products and unless you sold crap loads, you'd be stuck with the stuff... It took me years of garage sales to get rid of it all. You had to buy the samples, the literature, the main kit... Would never do any of those things again. I make more money selling my handmade things at craft shows then I ever did selling for Mary Kay...
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 2:02 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• They are tough, a service business is easier because with products like those you have to compete with walmart without a store.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 2:15 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I would never start up selling Avon or Mary Kay. there are simply too many people doing it for a newbie to really do well with it. Pure romance is a bit trashy. I would say Passion parties is much better for an adult themed party job. and those gals make TONS of money. even in this economy. I know a few consultants for them. Tastefully simple is one of the most ANNOYING companies in terms of their rules for what thier consultants HAVE TO DO AND SAY. the products are HUGELY OVERPRICED. just giving my opinion.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 1:48 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I used to sell MK. I gave it a try. But I'm not the kind of person that is good at it. I'm not perky. I'm not pushy. And I certainly cannot call and bug people. I actually felt like it was more of a cult kind of thing. I felt that the products weren't worth the money, not full price. And I just couldn't try to talk people into buying the products, not in this economy. Not the kinds of people I spend my time around.
    I sent my stuff back. When I called about it, and asked how long it would take to get my money, the lady said 4-6 weeks because they get hundreds of boxes a day. I figured she was talking about the boxes like mine, the buy-back boxes. So, I was thinking, what does that tell you about this business? If that many people send it back? I didn't take that long though.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 2:28 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• ...however, i think if i were do any of the above, i'd go with pure romance for me. i've learned i can sell the crap out of those products, because i work at an adult store lol.
    aydensXmommy

Answer by aydensXmommy at 1:33 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I know a few people who sell Avon.As I understand it,You pretty much have to make it a full time thing to make any good $ at it.
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 1:35 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I have bought some stuff but never sold. I'm not enough of a people person to do that.
    And most of their stuff is extremely overpriced!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:47 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I sell Stella & Dot jewelry. I am a stay-at-home mom and loved the jewelry, so I became a stylist. My busiest months are Sept-December, and slowest is June/July. If you love the product that you are selling, others will follow :)
    Erin517

Answer by Erin517 at 3:40 PM on Sep. 6, 2010