How far would you travel for a Dr?

Our pediatrician moved about an hour from us... we have been with her forever. I saw her when I was little. I feel like I am breaking up with someone!

horseap

Asked by horseap at 6:51 PM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Keep the Dr your comfortable with for regular check ups and when you need peace of mind. Find someone closer for emergencies and ear infections etc
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:53 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I know how you feel.

Our pediatrician will retire soon. She was my pediatrician when i was a baby already. I dont know what to do when she will retire. But i know that I wouldnt drive 1 hour to go to her office.

Even though its hard to find a good pediatrician here. :(

There is another, very good pediatrician a couple towns away... its 10minute drive.. thats more than enough. because I dont feel like driving for very long with a sick child. Thats something you need to think about. When your child is really sick, fever or whatever and just doesnt feel good. Would you drive around for 1 hour to see your doc?!

Ask your friends or try to find something on the internet. Maybe there is a different good pediatrician in your town.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:56 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Ask your pedi to suggest a doc that is closer to you. An hour is a long way to go, especially with the price of gas.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 8:57 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Our pedi. is 90 miles away. It sure does make for a long day when dd has an appointment but I would not trust anyone else.
    rcbrown

Answer by rcbrown at 12:44 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• i have to drive an hour to see my sons orthopedic specialist
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 3:11 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I moved over a year ago and still haven't changed my ped.- it takes me about 45 mins to get there...Not fun with a sick kid in the car- but fine for well-baby visits. I'm looking for a new one- just haven't found one I like yet! Do what works for your family!
    Best of luck : )
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 1:55 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• my child has NF (neurofibromatosis) and all the Dr's in my area have no clue as what it is so I take my daughter to Chicago which is about a 2- 2.5hr drive. There she has about 6 different Dr's that see her for it. For something such as an ear infection - she goes to our family dr.
    Doreen76

Answer by Doreen76 at 6:18 PM on Oct. 14, 2008