2yr old finger got smashed...

my son got his finger smashed in a door (by his older brother. . go figure) and now i think the nail is going to come off? it happened last week, and the finger is still swollen and the nail is starting to lift off. Should i take him to the dr or just let it go? its still sore to the touch, but he can use his hand, and water doesn't hurt if its run on his finger. I'm just curious. I don't want to run to the dr if it should be ok?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:53 PM on Oct. 13, 2008 in General Parenting

• You should probably take him to the doctor. I don't know if it broke the skin, but if it did there is a possibility he might need a tetanus shot. My 3 year old had his hand accidentally smashed in the car door by an older sibling and the doctors gave him a tetanus shot. I am not a paranoid mother, but if his fingernail looking like it is coming off, I would take him to the doctor. Good luck
    Anonymous

• there was a scratch, but it didn't break the skin. it bled from under the nail?
    Anonymous

• I would have went to the doctor as soon as the finger started to swell.

If it swells fast it could be broke. And with the nail now, yes bring him to a doctor.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 7:04 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I would take him to the doctor. Brothers can be so mean. My oldest knocked my other son down and knocked his 4 front teeth out!
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 7:23 PM on Oct. 13, 2008