Abortion

I had an abortion when I was 17. I was raped, in high school, with no insurance, and no one besides my drug addict mother to help me. I did what was best for me. That was 7 years ago. I'm 24 now, with 4 children and a 5th on the way. I'm very happily married to a doctor, I'm working on my nursing degree, and I have a real house to live in, rather than an apartment in the slums. My closest friend and I were talking one day, and somehow, abortion came up, and I told her about mine. We've been friends for 4 years, we tell each other everything, and we are incredibly close, so I thought, hey, it'll be ok. It wasn't. She told me that I should have been sterilized after my abortion, and that I should be in jail. I can understand if someone is against abortion, but that seems extreme. If I were fixed, my other children wouldn't be here, and I would have never been able to turn my life around. Am I wrong for being angry?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Relationships

• no you went wrong , but remember she didnt go through what you did so she may to fully understand . sorry about your past an congrats on ur baby on the way an the great life you have now :)
    davecswife

Answer by davecswife at 1:50 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• No, I would be angry too.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:50 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• she does not sound like a good friend. Something bad happened to you years ago, you made your choice, a better life is now what you have...the best to you with your studies in nursing...you are a Great mother, wife, person and don't let anyone tell you any different cause of a choice you made during a difficult time in your life.

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:52 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• You're not wrong, but clearly she doesn't understand - and doesn't want to understand - your journey. If she were a real friend, she'd seek to understand and desire to be supportive. Don't be angry, anger zaps energy. Just move on.
    yoliplus6

Answer by yoliplus6 at 1:53 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• She just made it so you feel very unsafe sharing your life with her. I would be angry and hurt. My friend shares things from her past with me that I totally disagree with but I don't put her down for them. I'd rethink that friendship.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 1:53 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• You are not wrong. She has betrayed the trust and love that was in the friendship between the two of you . While it is perfectly within her right to feel waht you did was wrong according to HER beliefs. It is NOT ok to judge you and say such horrible hurtful things. this is the perfect exacmple of someone who is not PRO LIFE. they are PRO FETUS. it was cruelty .
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 1:53 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I think you had every right to do what you did. You were grown up about it, even more so than some people would be. I think if your "friend" isn't going to be your friend because of something like that it's not worth it. When it comes to big issues like that, if you can't get through those, it isn't worth it.
    gnovinger

Answer by gnovinger at 1:54 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I'm so sorry for what you went through. You did what you felt was right. If your friend can't understand that, she isn't a friend at all.
    twinmommy91

Answer by twinmommy91 at 1:56 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I'm a staunch prolifer, but I would have never responded in that manner. I'm sorry that you were treated like that, and I am also sorry that you had to go through an abortion.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 2:03 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I'm very Sorry for your issues and all that you've gone through! That was horrible. Your friend wasn't very kind to you at all. That's not a good, caring or kind friend. I wish you the best in your life and a happy family. And your happily ever after..
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 2:06 PM on Sep. 6, 2010