Traveling with a 4 month old- 13 hr drive!!???

Ok my brother is graduating from Bootcamp and is stationed in Georgia and I have a 4 month old son that I don't want to leave behind while when we attend his grad. The trip is looking at about 13 hour drive- any advice on how that experience might be taking him or should I try to find someone to take care of him!?

v_serenil

Asked by v_serenil at 1:57 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did a lot of that sort of thing when my children were young. Actually, it's pretty easy when they're that young, they sleep most of the time! Just pack one diaper bag like you normally would - and then pack another. That way, you won't run out of anything you might need! Have fun!
    yoliplus6

Answer by yoliplus6 at 1:59 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I think as long as you plan ahead to make frequent stops for feeding/diapering/fresh air, you should be fine. :) Do you have someone traveling with you who can sit in the back with and distract/play with him while you drive? I would just allow time for stops and rest. Maybe even make a two day trip out of it with an overnight? Probably not neccessary, but as long as you plan to take your time I think you will be fine. Good luck.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 2:00 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Thank yall that really helped out!
    v_serenil

Comment by v_serenil (original poster) at 2:11 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• We did the same thing when our son was 4 months old.. We gave him his nightly bath and did our nightly routine except instead of putting him in his crib, we put him in his car seat lol. We drove over night and he litterally slept the entire time! I would recommend it since it's less feedings and it won't disrupt your babie's natural routine... Hope that helps!
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 3:44 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• He'll probably sleep most of the way. Just remember to plan for a longer drive and stop every 2 hours to feed him or stretch. We just made a cross country trip with 5 kids including a 4 week old. He was the best behaved of the bunch, lol (the trip took my husband 2 1/2 days going alone and took us 5 1/2 days with the kids...shows how time is added the more kids you have in the group, lol).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:47 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• make the trip with him it will be an adventure that you can tell him when he is older.
    natasha86

Answer by natasha86 at 4:14 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• this is the best time for a road trip. any older and he would be screaming his lungs out. i had to make a 12 hour trip with my son and he was 1 at the time
    00MissJade

Answer by 00MissJade at 4:57 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• We've done two big road trips with my daughter. One at 4.5 months and one at 6 months. We opted to leave really early in the morning (5-6 AM) vice driving all night. We could probably handle driving all night, but I just didn't want to risk the driver falling asleep with her in the car. I breastfeed, so every time we needed to stop for me to feed her, we did everything. Filled up the gas, got a bite to eat/snack for us, went to the bathroom, walked the dogs (we often travel with the dogs), etc. For the most part, she just slept most of the way. If she was awake and fussy, I would usually sit in the back and talk/play with her. We also downloaded some kid's folk music onto our iPod and she really seems to like that and that will often calm her down in the car. Especially if I sing along. And the music we chose is stuff we don't mind listening to. Elizabeth Mitchell, Pam Donkin, Laurie Beckner Band are favorites.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 8:40 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Thanks everybody yalls inputs really make me feel better & excited about our trip to see my brother! Thanks and god bless
    v_serenil

Comment by v_serenil (original poster) at 10:46 PM on Sep. 6, 2010