My daughter always sleeps with a blankie covering her face...

My daughter is almost 5 months old and she insists on sleeping with a blanket covering her face...It doesn't matter where she is sleeping, in the car or when you rock her to sleep she has to have a blanket covering her face...is this normal? Is there anything I can to to try and break her of this habit? If you don't put a blanket on her face she will and if you don't give her one then she just lays there and crys or whines until you give her one. If you take the blanket off of her face after she is asleep she wakes up within 15 minutes. What should I do?

jocelynvlong

Asked by jocelynvlong at 7:16 PM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i babysat a baby at that age that that would only fall asleep with a blanket over his face. i dont' know if he did it at home though. i just made sure i kept checking on him. i believe he prefered it because his mom was breastfeeding and would nurse him to sleep, and she always covered herself with a blanket, so maybe he got used to it...?
    Anonymous

• it's just a comfort thing my second child does this..and he's only 4 months old. It should be fine though as long as the blanket she's covering herself with isn't too thick that she won't be able to breathe. My son will intentionally crawl/scoot under the covers so that his face is covered....dunno why but he's always been fine. -Sincerely Cyndi "D
    SuperbowlBoys

Answer by SuperbowlBoys at 7:21 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I'd say just let her do it & if you're worried about it just try to uncover half of her face. My son likes to fall asleep chewing on his blanket so he has his mouth stuffed with it in the middle of the night. I also can not cover him up before he falls asleep, he'll freak out & start screaming & kick it off. I have to wait to cover him until he's asleep.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 7:22 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• my daughter alwaaaays did that as well...i just made sure i checked on her, i would try and lower it once she was sound asleep..so she still had it, but it wasnt completely on her face..she still does it sometimes, and shes 4 now..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 7:25 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• My son did that too when he was that age i did the same thing, alexis 06 said. he grew out of it though maybe cause it was hot though idk.
    BabyGsMaMa13

Answer by BabyGsMaMa13 at 7:46 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I don't think its a big deal. I used to put a baby cloth diaper over mine b/c, she just like the comfort. I mean, she was curled up in your belly for 9months so she probably just likes the comfort of something being near her face. I wouldn't smother her with a large thick blanket...I'm sure you're not though.

My 6month old sleeps on her tummy though. She prefers it. I just put 4 towels under her tight sheet so if she spits up, it absorbs it. Plus she can breath through the towels so no suffocation.
    mrstremblay

Answer by mrstremblay at 9:15 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• mine soon to be 10m old does that, if i pull it off she'll wake up and pull it back up, ask my mom-in-law and she said as long as she can pull on and off by herself not to worry..
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 9:34 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• don't you worry about her not being able to breath properly? i think breathing re-circulated air is not good for babies. i would check with a pediatrician to be sure.
    Anonymous

• This is funny. I did the same thing as a baby and in all honesty to this very day i cannot sleep with out a blanket over my face. Never figured out why I started but I know now that I do it because the air under the blanket gets warm and moist so then my mouth and nose dont get dry while Im asleep.
    Anonymous

• I always love to sleep that way and i always wondered if i did that as an infant. ...it's fine
    Anonymous