To those who believe that Mary Magdalene was Jesus' wife...

what led you to believe this? Was it Dan Brown's novels, some ancient writings that were not included in the Bible, or something else? I have always been curious about this. If the Father had wanted Jesus to marry while He was on earth, He could have done whatever He wanted, but I just don't see any Scriptural or historical support for this idea.

Please, I hope we can all allow each other to express opinions without riducule. Having a different idea is not offensive in itself.

Iamgr8teful

Asked by Iamgr8teful at 2:21 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Religious Debate

• One of the gnostic gospels makes this claim, and then there's that DaVinci thing.

Somethings that should be considered about why this is impossible ...

1) Look at the 2nd Commandment. It not only applied to the graven images of false gods, but was/is also a command to not make any images of God Himself. This is because it becomes too easy to worship the image, and not the real thing. If Christ had children, then it would be too easy for people to worship Christ's bloodline rather than Christ Himself. This would be a violation of the 2nd Commandment.

2) Look at the 1st Commandment. We are not to worship anything other than God (in trinity). If Christ had a wife, then there would be temptation to worship her as a goddess. This would be a violation of the 1st Commandment.

While these are exactly the points that gnostics and some liberal Christians want us to conclude, they are simply impossible scenarios. Why? ....
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 2:34 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• there is an entire HUGE section of Jesus's life missing from the bible and most texts. we cannot KNOW if he did or did not choose to marry. But God came here as his Son on earth to become a MAN amoungst us. there is no reason to think Jesus died a virgin.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 2:31 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I'm not sure if I believe that she was his wife... but I'm not denying the possibility. There is a lot of things in the Bible that are missing or lost in translation as well as censored by the Chruch... we don't have the full story. It seems that she had a close relationship with Jesus and in those times I don't think it was common to just be "friends"

AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:27 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• "Please, I hope we can all allow each other to express opinions without ridicule. Having a different idea is not offensive in itself."

-----

I love that you put this in the question and people are still downvoting a differing opinion. Booo!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:35 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I'm not saying I believe it, but I'm open to the possibility. (and I'm not 100% sure on these, they're just things I've heard used for this argument before) For one, the fact that Jesus was a Jew, and marriage and procreation are stressed in the Jewish tradition. (<--this one i'm more sure of) Second is the idea that a Jewish man must be married before he's allowed to teach. Thirdly is the wedding thing - tradition dictates (from what I've heard) that the groom's family was in charge of the accommodations at the wedding party, so for people to go to "mother" Mary, who then went to Jesus when the wine ran out, is believed by some to indicate that this was his wedding.
    Like I said, though, I don't claim to believe either way, and I'm not sure that these facts are all true (I'll dig up sources later and check, but they're ones I've heard used in this argument before). But I'm open to the idea. I think its possible.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:50 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• scout_mom

I was raised in the Lutheran church ... these commandments are the same throughout Christianity and Judaism ... they don't change.

The gospel of Thomas and the gospel of Mary Magdalene are gnostic gospels - they weren't included in the canon of Scripture because they didn't fall in line with Christ's teachings, not because of some silly conspiracy involving the RCC which are completely unfounded considering that the Papacy didn't exist at the time of the Council of Nicea. The Scripture was canonized, NOT to eliminate teachings of Christ, but to protect the TRUE teachings of Christ. Many heresies arose almost immediately following the resurrection of Christ, and the churches in the Council were seeking to protect orthodoxy.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 3:37 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• He was not married.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:24 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• .... because God cannot violate His own Commandments.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 2:35 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Another point, the reason for Mary Magdalene was to show that Jesus respected woman. He appeared to her first.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 3:46 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• wyattgrace

No. The Scripture supports the doctrine of the Trinity - One God is essence; 3 in person - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. While the mystery of the Trinity cannot be fully understood, Scripture teaches that the Father, the Son, and the Spirit make up One Triune God.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 4:41 PM on Sep. 6, 2010