how long will she only eat certain foods for?

my dd is almost 2 and she is now extremely picky about what she eats. i used to be happy b/c she would eat ANYTHING. now, nothing.... unless it is cereal or is served with ranch. i try not to give her a choice, but, she also has to eat. she is not quite two yet, so i don't think she really understands.

angeladh82

Asked by angeladh82 at 7:28 PM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter is the same age and the same way!! All i can get her to eat is grilled cheese and fruit!! She used to eat everything. As long as she is getting her vitamins and eating throughout the day then shes fine. Give her baby yogart and fruit. Kids are like us and will not let themselves starve to death so dont worry about it. its normal for this age:)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:37 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• read this it might help
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/childrens-health/HQ01107
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 7:38 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Start with every meal but dinner (you don't want her screaming for food at 2am). At not quite two, she is old enough to quickly learn "eat what I offer or go hungry until the next regular meal/snack time". She won't starve to death. By the time she is 2.5, you can include dinner. Going to bed hungry - if that's what she chooses - will not hurt her.
    Make certain you offer her something she WILL eat at every meal - if she will eat just about anything with ranch, make sure she has ranch and try not to cringe when she dips her cheese in it.
    cont
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:48 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Limit her to 16 to 20 ounces of milk a day. Too much more than that and she won't want to eat.
    Don't fight with her over what she eats. Unless you are prepared to hold her down, force her mouth open, cram food inside, and force her to chew and swallow, you can't force her to eat something. At this age, she has so little control over anything that she will fight for what little bit she does have. Don't fight. Present the food, let her decide what to eat or not eat.
    Never, ever, ever make her a special meal. She eats with the family or she doesn't eat. If all she eats is corn drenched in ranch dressing, so be it. But she does not get a special PB&J.
    kaycee14

• Kaycee14 has good advice here. My daughter is the same way. I was trying to please her but I gave up. I put food down in front of my 2 and a 1/2 yr old and she eats it or not. I do include ranch with her meal sometimes and just dont watch her eat it, she has dipped other foods in it and it grossed me out too much. There are times when my daughter eats nothing except the ranch dressing. I tried it over her vegetables and she wouldnt eat the veggies. I just give her a dollop of it and let it go. I dont fight her about eating, I have other concerns to worry about right now. Its not that I dont care, its just a fight not worth fighting. I present my daughter with a variety, but I also give her the Juicy Juice with added fruits and vegetables, so I know she is getting something in her. Good luck!
    pinkcalla721

Answer by pinkcalla721 at 11:23 PM on Oct. 13, 2008