family issues

im 18 and me and my daughter are currently living with my mother until i can afford an apartment.

she is always yelling at me, nothing i do with my child is right. if i feed her at a certin time at night she yells and tells me im a bad mother.

the other day we where at my grandparents, and my daughter was screaming while in her grandmothers arms, my mom picks her up and shes still crying so i say give her to me, and she says no shes fine,and it kinda makes me mad that she wouldnt give me my daughter so i say give her to me, and she says loudly your such a f*cking brat.

ugh im so sick of it, but i honestly have no choice but to put up with it.

have any advice on how to deal with it?

xxmissrainbow

Asked by xxmissrainbow at 7:30 PM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Relationships

• OK I HAVE READ SOME OF THESE ANSWERS AND I HAVE TO SAY SOME OF THEM KINDA MADE ME MAD. IT IS YOUR CHILD AND I AM SORRY IF YOUR CHILD WAKES UP HUNGRY IN THE NIGHT FOR GODS SAKE FEED THE KID. AS TO THE COMMENT TO TELL HER THAT, SHE DID A GREAT JOB WITH YOU, DOESNT SOUND TO ME LIKE SHE IS BEING MUCH OF A MOTHER IF SHE IS CALLING YOU A F*CKING BRAT. UNLESS YOU HAVE ANOTHER OPTION, JUST TRY TO BITE YOUR TOUNGE AND SMILE TO YOURSELF THAT AS A NEW MOMMY YOU ARE DOING EVERYTHING IN YOUR POWER TO PROTECT AND PROVIDE FOR YOUR CHILD! I AM REALLY SORRY THAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH THIS, AND HONEY I HAVE BEEN THERE. IF YOU EVER NEED TO TALK FEEL FREE TO MESSAGE ME. YOU ARE YOUNG, SO WAS I, AND THAT ISNT ANYBODY ELSES BUSINESS. SHE MIGHT IN HER OWN WAY BE TRYING TO HELP, BUT SHE IS GOING ABOUT IT THE WRONG WAY, AS YOU CAN OBVIOUSLY TELL.

alicia_4307

Answer by alicia_4307 at 2:00 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• It sucks but as long as your living with her you just have to ignore it. I would def confront her about it and let her knw that its not ok to talk down to you in front of the baby. Especially with bad language!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:33 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Do you have anyone else you can stay with until you can get your own place? If she is your only option I would just try and ignore her.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 7:33 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• tell her to buzz off..it's your daughter!! but in the mean time, there are many apartment complexes that base the rent on your income, you could end up paying 300 a month at the least!! just look around, different options are out there..
    SummersMamma

Answer by SummersMamma at 7:40 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• if you have a save the family there in your area you can check them out of other places that provide homes for single moms but you would have to follow their program but it's well worth it to have your own place.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 7:48 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• first of all you and your mom need to have a talk even though she just wants to help and it's not good to give a baby a bottle in the middle of the night because they have to learn to fall asleep on their own which will help you in the long run. anyway just let her know hey i am this childs mother and that you call the shots reasure her she did a great job with you but it's your turn mistakes will happen but those are mistakes you need to teach you ok i should do it like this next time you know? and as far as her calling you a bad mother don't listen you know your doing the best you can and even though you might not be a wondeerful mother hey your still learning stay strong and learn to take in all that bullshit i did but now i'm out of my mom's house and i miss her
    jenjenjennifer

Answer by jenjenjennifer at 7:59 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• you could go to the medicade office and get public housing assistance. Then all you have to do is get a job and they will base your rent off the amount of money you make and the rent includes the heating a electric cost up to a certin amount. Other than that just talk to your mom and tell her that this needs to change and that she is your daughter and that she needs to respect you
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 8:22 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I think your mom feels like your aren't old enough for a child, and tries to take over the care of her. Then resents you for it. You could try having a heart to heart talk with her, pick a time the baby is asleep, and just talk to her about your feelings, don't accuse her of things, and add that you appreciate all she does for you and your baby, and you very much want to become a great mom. You would like her input so you can learn from her, but she can't yell at you or tell you your a bad mom...it's from her you learn how to be a mom. Mother/Daughter relationships are hard at this age. When your mom does something for your child, like feed her, change her diaper, or whatever, just say "Thanks, mom." Then take your child. Your child needs you, her mother, and also her grandmother in her life, and she needs you two to get along and work together, for the best interest of the child.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 12:14 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Listen to robinann5. I could not have said it better.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 1:54 AM on Oct. 14, 2008