Is my third grader lazy or could it be something else?

My daughter is now in 3rd grade, she has always been very smart but also really slow. Her slowness is the only thing that held her back from the gifted program in 1st grade.

Now her slowness has really caught up to her. She is not longer able to finish her schoolwork, so the teacher's solution has been to send this work home. Which i don't mind, i know she has always had difficulties in her speed, but now i am very concerned. Could this be a more than her just being lazy?

We have tried timers, treats, prizes, times out, no tv, no games, no dolls, nothing seems to work, extra prizes. It has been almost two months now, and no changes. Should i talk to her pediatrician, the school principal, psychologist...Please advice

krubalc

Asked by krubalc at 7:37 PM on Oct. 13, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Similar to the previous posts, your daughter might want to consider going to either a pediatrician, psychologist or both. Something is definitely wrong with the way she grasps the material. I also advise you to engage your daughter in a meaningful activity. It might help her gain some momentum.

In the meantime, you may want to consider visiting this website called Nogginpower2. One thing I learned from Nogginpower2 is that they offer a great deal of information, such as Getting Great Grades, Discipline, Making New Friends and Improving Social Skills. These manuals from Nogginpower2 should guide you in helping your daughter overcome her learning disability. She could then become motivated to do good work. I hope this helps. Thank you and good luck.
    paulacolls19715

Answer by paulacolls19715 at 11:34 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Teacher here: I have never heard of any issues causing slowness in completing work. If she seems normal in all other areas I would guess she may be lazy, a dreamer, or maybe a perfectionist.

Dont jump to conclusions....she may just be taking her time to get it right....which can be an asset sometimes.....

Its great that the teacher allows her to finish at home.....I would keep up with that and watch her to make a determination as to why you believe she is doing this.......other than encouraging her I believe you have tried all methods....hang in there mom.....you may have a dd with stars in her eyes ;) Yet another good asset to possess !
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:42 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I would talk to your pediatrician just to be safe. If she does have a problem then its better to address it now. She may need to see someone to see if something esle is on her mind that is causing her to not finish her assignments.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:45 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• If I've learned anything from this site is that kids go at different paces. It's probably nothing and I don't think rewarding/punishing her is going to help, it's only going to point out to her that she's different. I think her doctor would have the best direction for you to go, good luck
    Anonymous

• Look up this website www.bianys.org it has some good info on slow cognitive processing, possible causes, and how to help.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 8:23 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• The slow congnitive things could possibly cause the issues...but they probably would have seen it in her ability to learn....but its not a bad thing to check out....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:11 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• It sounds more like focus to me...obviously you know better than anyone...but sometimes it takes me a while to complete things because I'm SO distractable.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:23 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• sounds like it could be either an attention problem or a boredom problem. does she work faster if she's really interested or excited about something? could she be doubting herself even though she gets the right answer, in other words, could she be overanalyzing? Don't be scared to take her to a psychologist. I don't think anything is "wrong" but I do think maybe her learning and work approaches need some guidance, and a psychologist might be able to work with her to make a gameplan. Maybe a place like Sylvan can help her with her work skills too. But, I remember being an exceptionally bright child (not anymore though, lol!) and being SUPER bored with my work. It was like trying to eat spinach...it was boring and therefore unpleasant and so I "picked" at it. Hope you find something that works!
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 10:31 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• my daughter is somewhat the same way......she gets easily distracted
    ronronsbeauty

Answer by ronronsbeauty at 8:55 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• BTW, Slow congnitive processing is not connected to her intelligence at all....it simply means that she has to take in information differently, more slowly, in order to effectively retain and understand it.....someone could be a genius and still have slow processing problems.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 9:37 AM on Oct. 14, 2008