South Beach diet

Can anyone give me approximate list of foods 'allowed' in the first phase?
Also, have you tried both South Beach and Spark People website, which one did you prefer and was easier, simpler (in terms of preparing foods) and you didn't feel hungry.
How soon did you see results, any results.

BeaMoore

Asked by BeaMoore at 2:45 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I have tried both of those but it didnt really help ( I am a big procrastinator) .... After i had my last baby I was well over 200 pounds ( the biggest ive ever been ) ... so I cut out alot of carbs ( I occasionally still eat a sandwhich, but instead of regular white bread, use whole wheat) and I walk alot ( almost everyday, i take the kids on a walk or walk on the tredmill) ......and now I honestly can say I have my dream body ( I am not super skinny....but I am thin in the spots I like)
    AmericanaQueen

Answer by AmericanaQueen at 2:50 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• South Beach Phase one foods: vegetable juice cocktail or tomato juice, black coffee or tea, water, eggs usually made as an omelet with vegetables or in quiches or frittatas, hard boiled eggs, Canadian bacon, mozzarella cheese sticks, light cream cheese, ricotta cheese or cottage cheese, raw or steamed veggies (avoid corn, shelled peas, and winter squash, along with sweet or white potatoes), tossed or chef salads with viniagrette or light salad dressings, sugar free gelatin, chicken breast, salmon, lean beef cuts, fish steaks, nuts & sunflower seeds, hummus with veggies, vegetable relishes (made without sugar).
    I've tried both. I personally felt the South Beach was easier to prepare the foods and incorporate into family dinners. I chose South Beach mainly because I have to have a low carb diet to manage my diabetes and it's the one that worked. I felt hungry for 3 days but wasn't really hungry, it was just in my mind.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 3:00 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• It took me a week before I saw significant results, but I dropped 7 lbs. the 2nd week. I felt GREAT! I lost a total of 12 lbs. in a month and haven't gained it back in the past 1 1/2 yrs. even though I added good carbs back to my diet. South Beach only works if you are willing to change your eating habits for life. You won't have to stick to low carb all the time, just be sensible and careful about what carb foods you DO eat.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 3:04 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I also have diabetes and am a procrastinator.
    The SB diet seems like something that I will like more, although I think I will be doing exercises that they show on SP website.
    I eat a lot of high fiber foods, Fiber one diet, pretty much, they even have cottage cheese and yogurt.
    It just sucks so much to carry all the excess weight and feel sick and tired all the time.
    I have the blue SB book and the orange one with mostly recipes, and got really overwhelmed by how many ingredients I need to have, like spices etc for each meal, but I know I can pick some of the most simple ones and eat them for the designated meal.
    Ricotta cheese mixed with vanilla and sweetener sounds good, or with cinnamon and sweetener.
    2 first weeks seem kind of tough, but that is only 7 days, plus I am on meds that totally kill my appetite during the day, then I take Ambien CR in the evenings and this one seems to increase my cravings. I need to watch it.
    BeaMoore

Comment by BeaMoore (original poster) at 3:46 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Bea, I didn't mess with all the different ingredients. I got a good idea of what was allowed & what wasn't, & went from there. I had an omelet every morning with veggies, & tomato juice. Snacks were a hard boiled egg or slice of mozz cheese, or sugar free jello or celery & cream cheese. I didn't buy ricotta cheese; I used cottage cheese & added sweetener, spices, the same things they added to the ricotta cheese. My lunches were always a huge chef salad with loads of veggies. Dinners were broiled or baked chicken breasts, grilled chicken breasts cut into strips & dipped in mustard or Italian dressing or in a salad, chicken breasts covered in a tomato sauce and spices, or chicken or beef stir fry without the rice, or a grilled burger made with lean beef, no bun, even tuna or salmon patties. At least 1/2 my dinner plate was steamed veggies, & if I was still hungry I had a tossed salad. I didn't have a CHANCE to get hungry!
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 5:29 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I mentioned that I have the two books, but I am between apartments and, so cannot always take a look at the foods and make shopping , but wanted to get my groceries and didn't remember all the stuff. I love tomatoe juice, but can you have chopped tomatoe, onion, peppers etc omelet. If the tomatoe juice is allowed, so tomatoes themselves should be ok, too, I think. I could eat a ton of tomatoes (maybe) in one sitting. I can eat them any time and right now my friend is offering me as many as I many as I want. Awesome!!!!
    BeaMoore

Comment by BeaMoore (original poster) at 8:38 PM on Sep. 6, 2010