How do i help my son learn to sit up on his own and crawl?

No im not one of those moms who wants to push kids 24/7 on things if there not ready. All i am asking is for some advice on how to HELP my son.. He is almost 5 months old in 3 days.. He does tummy time, holds his head up now. He HATES laying on his back most of the time and tries on his own to lean forward when im holding him.. We dont own a Bumbo Seat.. The only thing i do is hold him while he is sitting down. What about crawling? both my girls crawled at 8 months i think. they are 4 and 6 now, cant remember thats why im asking questions! lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:53 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't use infant seats. Carry him and hold him. Use slings and carriers. Babies learn to be strong in this way. Infant seats, swings, walkers, ect hurt development. If you carry your baby then babies don't have to have tummy time. The whole tummy time thing was invented because after the Back to Sleep campaign babies were spending huge amounts of time on their backs. Most of the rest of the time was being spent in seats. This was hurting develpment and in the extreme babies can have "container syndrome" a collection of developmental issues.

You don't need to help with the sitting and crawling as much as just holding him and playing with him.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:01 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I really think 5 months is too young... but if you really want him to... just get him one of those seat things.... it will happen when it will happen
    AmericanaQueen

Answer by AmericanaQueen at 2:54 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• for crawling, just lots of tummy time and put toys out of his reach so he has to work to get them. For sitting up, just hold him in an upright position for a couple minutes at a time, he'll build the muscles that way and before you know it he will be sitting on his own.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:55 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I used to sit with my son sitting on the floor in front of me. I'd sit him up and let go. He'd laugh and want to do it again even if he fell. Eventually he started sitting up longer and longer. It also helps to scatter his toys, especially the ones he loves the most, so that he's encouraged to go after them. I just tried to encourage him and make it into a game. He enjoyed it it seemed.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:19 PM on Sep. 6, 2010