Teen Girls and their period

My DD is 16 and has been having her period regularly for about 2+ years. This month it was particularly heavy (like after 6 kids heavy) and her cramping was debilitating with vomiting and migraine.
We are contemplating trying Yaz birth control pills to help with this. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Roadfamily6now

Asked by Roadfamily6now at 3:02 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I had god awful cramps as a teen,..heavy flow, vomiting, diarrhea, and RIDICULOUS cramps,..and it didn't quit no matter WHAT I did up until I got on birth control. I don't really think it's a good idea to just put a girl on BC unless there is a really true reason for it though. I would wait and see what next month brings. Try some natural remedies first and if those things don't help, take her to a doctor just to make sure there's nothing deeper going on there. I hope she gets some relief,..I sympathize with her :( poor thing.
    CrnchyMamaCraig

Answer by CrnchyMamaCraig at 10:52 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I'd take her to the gynecologist and get his or her recommendation. Perhaps a different birth control pill, as Yaz is under scrutiny right now for its safety.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 3:05 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• There are other ways to control severe menstrual cramping and migraines. Birth control is not the only option. I hope she gets to feeling better soon.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 3:07 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Take her to a doctor so that the doctor can find the right birth control and prescribe the right dose.
    wmmom06

Answer by wmmom06 at 3:09 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I had rotten periods as a teen- now that I have three kids I can say that some of them felt equivalent to early active labour. They would make me throw up and be in too much pain to walk or stand up straight. My doctor gave me some kind of muscle relaxing pain killer that would help- I took them starting when my period was coming to try to head off the cramps. My periods were easier when I was on the bcp, but I had a lot of other side effects from the pill so I'm maybe not the best one to ask about the pill for teens. I would stay away from Yaz... it's currently being investigated for a higher than normal number of blood clot related issues.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:08 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Ugh. I had HORRIBLE periods when I was a teen. Well... still do now if I am off of birth control for too long. I would have severe cramping that would actually end up irrtating my colon and giving me diarrhea for the full 7 days of my period. Birth control pills were a Godsent. Definitely talk to her doctor. He may offer something other than birth control pills, but at least she won't have to just suffer. :(
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 3:11 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• After only one cycle like that I wouldn't do anything yet. I would wait and see if it continues like that.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 3:11 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Ask for a different pill than Yaz...My period went absolutely whacko after I started Yaz...I switched to a different pill and now its fine
    BradensMom1026

Answer by BradensMom1026 at 3:13 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I think it would be best to take her to the GYN because sometimes BC only makes things worse and can potentially hide something that needs to be treated differently. My 14 yr old started having extra long periods (they went from 7 days to 3 weeks)and they found out she has a hyperactive ovary (releasing several eggs at one time during ovulation). They have her on a special hormonal med.
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 3:15 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• loestrin fe 24 ask your doctor its (birth control pills) it helps with all of the above i used it highly recomended give it a shot it might work or femcom fe again ask your doc first but there both good and good luck
    pyrofyterwife

Answer by pyrofyterwife at 3:16 PM on Sep. 6, 2010