What will future archaeologists think about us?

Be they human or extra-terrestrial, thousands of years from now, what will the explorers of the future think of us and our rituals and our daily lives. What will they piece together from what we've left behind?

Here's one such possibility: http://www.turoks.net/Cabana/FootballAsAFertilityRite.htm

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 3:10 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Probably that we were a primitive superstitious species that never progressed beyond the need for gods and demons. They will presume that aliens HAD to have helped us, as we don't have the brain-power to have created skyscrapers, rocketships and space shuttles, or to have made scientific discoveries on our own.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 9:10 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• They will think the same thing that we think now. It's history to be learned from and evolvedfrom. That is what archaeology is about. Preserving the past information for us now and learning from it for the better.

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 3:21 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• The Nacirema are a diverse people, with settlers from different parts of the continent and the world blending together to form a distinct culture. This unique feature of the Nacirema, a culture made up of other cultures, accounts for much of the conflict that exists within their society.... For the most part though, the vast majority of Naciremas belong to an established religious sect. Although the vast majority of these sects are founded on the same beliefs and worship the same God, there is no one Nacireman religion. There are dozens of sects with the same god and basic tenants yet each is separate. Horace Miner, in his work Body Ritual Among the Nacirema.

The concept of the Nacirema and their fixation with nuf and e-nuf are very interesting reads.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 3:30 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Thinking like this, is what led me to realize I am an atheist. Other kids in my class sat laughing at the stupid primitive people, and the silly things they believed, when we studied history. I, on the other hand looked around me and thought, will the kids 10k years from now be laughing at us? My answer was a resounding YES, because the things people believe today are no less silly than the things people believed then. The only difference is, today we should know better!
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 7:09 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• lol
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 4:11 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I have honestly wondered this kind of thing myself... Chances are they will see us just as primitively and underdeveloped as we see people who lived 1000+ years ago...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:09 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• They will think that we sure produced a lot of trash. They might think that we were trying to preserve the baby poop in the plastic diapers.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:14 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• MamaK88

Comment by MamaK88 (original poster) at 3:11 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• i dk
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:03 PM on Sep. 7, 2010